• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Should seeds to be planted be really spicy?

I recently bought some seeds to try to plant them, to see how spicy they were, I decided to try them, I took a seed, and placed it on the tip of my tongue, and it wasnt really hot. Even a carolina reaper seed wasnt really hot, I compared it to some bought cayene I had, and the cayene seed was way hotter than the carolina reaper seed.
Why is this? Have I been ripped off? All peppers dont have the capsacin distributed arround in the same way? Or what?

D3monic said:

This

any heat you experienced was just from left over juices on the seed. Though you shouldn't put seeds in your mouth as some companies treat them with a chemical to inhibit mold growth. 

Ok thanks to everybody who replied.
D3monic said:
Though you shouldn't put seeds in your mouth as some companies treat them with a chemical to inhibit mold growth. 
It was a stupid thing to do it seems, but a chemical to stop mold growth (maybe its just bleach) wont do much harm by putting a single seed on the tip of my tongue, without putting it inside the mouth and then washing the tongue with water. So no big deal. Again thanks for the answer.

D3monic said:

This

any heat you experienced was just from left over juices on the seed. Though you shouldn't put seeds in your mouth as some companies treat them with a chemical to inhibit mold growth. 

Unless you have toenail fungus!
All my super-hot seeds are pretty warm.  That's probably the result of my extraction process - chop the stem and 'core' the bulk of the placenta from the top, then roll+smoosh the pod to break loose the seeds growing along the inner wall.  Doing that no doubt bathes them in Cap oil. 

In addition to seeds not having any capsaicin they also have no nutritional value so it makes no sense to eat seeds.Unless of course youre into that sort of thing.

I've had the crap burned out of me by handling seeds.  Both my own and vendor seeds.  SO, yes they can burn if they got the oil on em and NO they won't burn if they have been cleaned by "Process".

When harvesting seeds, they are laden with cap oil, being as they are attached to the placenta.

However, some vendors may wash the seeds so the oils get washed off.

Just plant them and don't be so paranoid.

You'll only know you've been ripped off if you bought Reaper seeds and they grow into an Apple tree. :D

It is probably just a matter of how the seeds were cut and dried.  Like folk said, the seeds themselves are not hot.  Probably one of your sources had cleaner seeds. 

Sidenote: Opium poppy seeds are generally legal to own in the US.  I have some stoner friends who make opium tea from poppy seeds.  They tell me you have to buy them from the right company because they dont wash the opium off the seeds as well as others.  Just kind of funny.

karoo said:
what he said

Some people wash seeds in water to see if they float or sink , and likely wash away the capsaicin.
I just cut them out and dry them.
Have read that the capsicum helps to prevent mold.  Havent washed a seed since and seem to have better luck.

Spicy Mushroom said:
Seeds are definitely spicy. That's just residual juice excreted from the placenta though.

You contradicted yourself.

Seeds themselves are not hot. er, um "spicy".

Scoville DeVille said:
You'll only know you've been ripped off if you bought Reaper seeds and they grow into an Apple tree. :D
Been there. Bought "reapers" on amazon for my first attempt to grow a pepper. Turned out to be red savina habanero. Still alive, great peppers. Of course, I wouldnt mind another apple tree either

You have Red Savinas???

MY FAVORITE!!!!

I will buy some from you! Cash money or sauce trade. 

Or both.

Seriously, PM me if you would be willing to part with some. I will DEFINITELY make it worth your while.

Scoville DeVille said:
You have Red Savinas???

MY FAVORITE!!!!

I will buy some from you! Cash money or sauce trade. 

Or both.

Seriously, PM me if you would be willing to part with some. I will DEFINITELY make it worth your while.
If mine grow true this year we will be in touch... ;)

On Non-Reaper Reapers - Thinking you will see less and less of that over time. Its when something is new that people screw around trying to make that coin.

Scoville DeVille said:
You have Red Savinas???

MY FAVORITE!!!!
Woohooo, someone else loves the thing.  Usually I mention it and people use terms like nostalgia.  I love them for stuffing.  Didnt start too many this year cause they are mainly a farmers market crop, not doing market this year.  But will likely have plenty to trade in the late summer / fall.

Back