• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Show us your Ghetto growing gear.

Sync, from my experience doing almost this exact same thing a couple of seasons ago, watch out inside the frame for hot spots. I don't know what your lighting setup inside consists of, but my plants went from being under fluoros to a frame with plastic sheeting. I figured since the sheeting would block part of the light it would be a easy transition. It worked for the most part but I developed hot spots where the sheeting wasn't pulled tight enough and actually focus the light like a magnifying glass and burnt parts of plants to a crisp.

Ouch, I'll keep that in mind.

My dorm room setup

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

HAHAH so funny. I'm looking at this thread on a computer at a public library, and a security guard just came up to me and said I have to leave because its forbidden to look at websites about growing MJ.... Had to explain that are pepper plants, not evil evil drugs. :)

That's great, GT! Another opportunity to educate someone about the finer things in life!

Ok here's my ghetto creation. I wanted to try hydo outdoors but with power cuts here in Thailand, and two small boys running around i thought an system that relies on electric was too risky. A few days ago i came across this

http://www.fshs.org/...%28TYSON%29.pdf

no pumps, air stones or mod cons, why not try it I thought.

An old piece of polystyrene, cut to size.
SAM_0157.jpg

SAM_0159.jpg

Drilled several holes around the top of an old tote I had lying around to ensure that rain water won't drown the seedlings.
SAM_0159.jpg

covered the thing in foil to keep the temps down
SAM_0158.jpg

Filled it up with nutrients and popped in a couple three week old seedlings.
SAM_0161.jpg

It's only been four days but there are now inch long roots coming out of the bottom of the pots. I'll just keep drilling holes and lowering the water level as time goes by. Fingers crossed.

Great idea, Ezzer. Will be interesting to see how it works.
Maybe you can get some little rubber stoppers to plug the
holes, so you can use the tub over and over!

Hi guys , i thought id just share a few pics of a small light i been working on , i picked this light up of gumtree for 20 bucks and added a switch and a few cfl bulb holders to it .
Im not sure if its Ghetto gear or not , but it was second hand and cheap , i thought i can run the cfl daylights and put whatever i want for the tubes, im just going to be using it for some babys this coming season.
I plan on building bigger shelves to house some 4 ft lights also .

IMG_4803.jpg

IMG_4815.jpg

IMG_4814.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

IMG_4823.jpg

IMG_4819.jpg

Wow, nice unit! You got mad skills, bro!

Thanks guys, it was quite funny when i was sitting on the floor wireing it all up and drinking a few beers , the wife kept looking at me and asking if i knew what i was doing and that i had better not burn the house down .
She quickly refused my offer to let her be the first person to switch it on while grabbing the kids and walking into the next room .

There ya go! Looks very servicable.
Good luck getting them to adulthood!

Back