• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Sigh here we go again, seedling yellow leaves

So my seedlings are showing a very pale green/slightly yellow color on the true leaves, I presume this means overwatering (I'm guilty, but could it be due to nutrients? I've been feeding them all purpose nutrients at about 75% strength every week or so) What should I regulate to stop this from going on, I already cut back on watering and now wait for the coir to dry up a bit first.

20160220_173430_zps942xzpvy.jpg
IMG_20160220_172959_zpsaicgpw6e.jpg

The seedlings look slightly etiolated which would indicate low light intensity.  Also, those are definitely too small for feeding nutrients.  If you you do feel compelled to feed them at that young stage I would recommend very very dilute concentrations of fertilizers that are mild in themselves like earth worm casting tea, seaweed extract, or fish hydrolysate.  Highly available synthetic nutrients are way too much for tiny plants like those.  Synthetics can be used effectively once the seedlings are large enough to do something with them.

I think if you are feeding them anything at all at this stage, you are wasting good neuts. Without a substantial root system to uptake the food most will end up washing right through the media. I dont see evidence of too much watering at all, rather looks like you are controlling that nicely.

Noah Yates said:
The seedlings look slightly etiolated which would indicate low light intensity.  Also, those are definitely too small for feeding nutrients.  If you you do feel compelled to feed them at that young stage I would recommend very very dilute concentrations of fertilizers that are mild in themselves like earth worm casting tea, seaweed extract, or fish hydrolysate.  Highly available synthetic nutrients are way too much for tiny plants like those.  Synthetics can be used effectively once the seedlings are large enough to do something with them.

+ 1 on the fish emulsion , 1/2 tsp. gal. then i'd get them out of that coir and into a good potting soil ( with no NUTES  added )   16 oz. solo cups        :onfire:

Windowsill, it's not terrible but it is not great. Facing perfectly east, with no obstructions above (last floor of building, balcony has clear sky view). 

I had a couple act similar on the first feeding of nutes, switched back to water for the next week or two and they all recovered and are now healthy green leaves and getting the nutes again

If you supplement the window light with something as simple as a $10.00 shop light, you will greatly improve your plants.  Most come with a very simple way to hang.  Also, one of those simple clip on lights can help if you put a compact fluorescent in it.  Not ideal, but better than just the window.  Also, please consider putting a thermometer next to the window and see if maybe it is getting a bit cold there.

My guess would be the time of year with less sun intensity, a little supplemental light would probably help them green right up. Also like other mentioned check temps during day and night by the window. I rarely use any ferts and if I do it's 1/4 strength fish/seaweed emulsion.rather transplant into a healthy well rounded potting mix and just water with mycor.

They don't need any additional neuts at that stage.   Let em go and develop 2-3 sets of leaves then pot up and don't over water.  Most likely a case of OVER TLC.

Back