• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sili Grow 2012

The stakes are higher (hotter) for me this year. My main grow starts in a couple of weeks, but I thought I'd test fire some of these C. Chinense varieties in baggies / coffee filters just to get a feel for germination rates. Baccatums and Annuums start later. My main grow will involve Hoffman's Seed Starter medium in 72-cell flats.

This is a pretty big 'test,' and I'll grow 'em forward if they sprout, then compare with the dirt-born later.

Thanks to those enablers who sent seeds and advice. I hope to let you know how they turn out. I thusly unleash heavenly hellish heat upon thyself.

An unholy out-of-the-ground beginning:

2012%252520start%252520001.jpg

A high tech germination center:

2012%252520start%252520008.jpg

Lookin damn good there Sil! I enjoyed reading all your posts, they are far from boring my friend! Congrats on the sprouts. I agree with ya about the cooking n throwdown forums, very cool to check out. Greg did kill it, So did SD obviously, I think Greg might have won if SD hadn't been posting over the top tasty entrys for months on end, it was about time he won one. off topic! anyway, good luck with your grow, I'll be watchin! :D It should be fun to compare how they grow in Boise to Seattle. Keep us posted!

Brandon

Thanks, Big C. I'm following in your footsteps and yu've been really helpful. It's gonna be fun with associated challenges....

And...

I have ignition!

2012%252520start%252520113%252520009.jpg

First hooks: Trinidad Scorpion Red and Trinidad Seasoning, 'test' plants up and at 'em. Happy New Grow Year... :cool:

Wow Sil,

1/11, man that's some fast germination.......you've got some pretty fresh seeds there!

I still have a few "dogs" in the dirt........Galapagoense, for instance, It's been 6 wks. I'll give them a few more and that's it.

keep us updated

Greg

No, the 1/11 tag is when I put them in the dirt. I'm using an extended seed pre-soak in baggies. So those seedling actually first got moisture on 1/03. So 10 total days to become a seedling. Not real fast, but I'll take it.

I'm going to take a good look at you cats this year that grow the more exotic stuff. Interesting that some take so long to germinate.

I've pretty much finished my January 'test grow.' I ended getting successful plants of 16 C. Chinense varieties. Last year I only grew some Scotch Bonnet and Orange Hab, so this 'test' taught me a lot. (The variety list is the rows of baggies on page 1 if you're interested.)

Anyway, out of 80 seeds, I grew 39 seedlings. My germination rate was higher, but I had some casualites from stuck seed caps and others that just didn't come up in the growing medium after the baggie germination.

Here's my set-up, currently just using one 4-ft T8 lamp. I cut up a 72-cell container sheet into 9-packs for ease of handling. I fit 4 of the 9-packs in the middle of tray and that is just right for the light above. I have bubble foil 'flaps' than hang from the lamp like an A-frame to keep in the light and heat (thanks, PaulG). I keep the light 1-2 inches from the seedlings. I open the front flap and fan 'em 3 hours a day or so. The heat mat is under the left side tray--I have a mix of things going on in there with some ghetto spacers for some plants lol.
2012%2520garden1.jpg

My main disaster was trying to make my own seedling mix that I used in one 9-pack. I figured my ingredients were too coarse, so I put them in a blender. Luckily wife didn't notice. But the plants mostly croaked except for one tough Maui Purple, which lives on and is my biggest plant, potted up to 2.5 x 3.5 tall container:

2012%2520garden2.jpg

Something that was smart was my transition from baggies to cups. These are 'jello shot cups' from a party store. I shouldve listened to PepperJam last year when he tested both. I'll use these for my main grow still to come. The blackies are mystery seeds from Peppermania.

2012%2520start%2520131%2520009.jpg

I 'borrowed' the wife's food scale and now I weigh my plants to determine water needs. One 9-pack with Hoffman's mix weighs approx 10-ounces when hydrated, and about 5-ounces when dry. It's been taking 4 days to reach 'dryness.' Takes some of the guesswork out. (from left to right: Tobago Seasoning, Fatalii, Bhut Jolokia CPI. everything is planted 3-deep, usually 1 or 2 seeds per cell)

2012%2520start%2520131%2520012.jpg

I also borrowed one of her Tupperware bowls fits perfect for bottom watering a 9-pack. It takes about 5-minutes to hydrate. Later, I'll use the main trays for bottom watering when I get more plants.
2012%2520start%2520131%2520014.jpg

Some stuff looking pretty good: (left to right: Tobago Scotch Bonnet, Brain Strain and Datil. Notice the 'stump' of the Tobago SB due to seed cap stickage.

2012%2520start%2520131%2520002.jpg

Anyway, I have at least 2 or 3 plants growing of most varieties. I'll be starting my C. Baccatums next week and C. Annuums mid to late February. Hoping to plant out around May 21st. I'll also be potting up what I have now during the next couple of weeks and hanging more lights. This will pretty much take care of my C. Chinense start for the year--my test has led me to the real deal as I grow forward.

Thanks for looking at my little grow ops. It's tough to post after seeing the expertise of some of you characters.... :cool:

Hey, S-man! Just getting around to a few more grow logs. Very impressive! Your plants are kickin' it! Who cares
if you only get 50% when you get plants like that! That Maui Purple is outrageous :party:
You've given me something to shoot for! I am a little worried about Spring myself. I'm counting on the green house to bail me out when night temps warm up a little. I may be using lights for quite awhile! Your photos are top notch, thanks for posting those...

Hey, thanks for the kind words. But being my own best critic, my Glogs kinda suck! The goods ones are simpler and go quickly to a point. Mine get too cluttered. It IS fun to go back and look at various stages of my own grow, even if it's just a few posts.

For example, in regards to weather, I can look back to last year... and remind myself not to do some of the same things I'm doing again this year. It doesn't help! What the heck was I thinking? Thus is the nature of gardening in the PNW.... :cool:

Some gee-whiz factoids from my January Test Grow:

Successful seedlings / number of seeds sowed

Maui Purple 1 for 3
Trinidad Scorpion red 6 for 8
Trinidad Seasoning 3 for 6
Chocolate Habanero 2 for 4
Brain Strain 2 for 3
Datil (kentishman) 6 for 10
Datil (alphahydro) 3 for 3
Congo Trinidad 5 for 12
Bhut Joke Indian Carbon 5 for 15
Harold’s St Bart 2 for 4
Tobago Scotch Bonnet 2 for 4
Tobago Seasoning 3 for 4
Bhut Jolokia Red CPI 1 for 9
Fatalii 5 for 6

Cumari 5 for 6
Datil (CPI) 2 for 5

No show, mostly due to soil error: Aji Amarillo, Scotch Bonnet, Red Savina

Total of all seedlings vs. number of seeds sowed: 56 for 122 (46% )
Species: 16 for 20 varieties successful for 80%
Avg time to first germination in baggies or cups for all varieties: 9.6 days
fastest to germ: Fatalli--3 days
longest to germ: Bhut Jolokia Red CPI--22 days

problems resulting in casualities: improper seedling mix, stuck seed caps (shallow planting depth?)
variables, areas to improve: use more consistent heating using heat pad; use cups instead of baggies;

Next tests during main grow: wait longer after germination to plant cup germinated seedlings; plant sample of seeds direct in growing medium and compare to cup germination time.

Looking good Sil,

You've got quite a few plants going. The Bhuts are usually slow germinators, Especially from (CPI) I have those and some Red Bhuts from some dude in Oahu, his were originally from (CPI). It's funny but I have the two growing side by side, leaves look very similar except for the color of the stems and leaves. I've got about 4 of each growing and side by side there's quite a difference. I'm curious to see how narley the pods will look.
As far as seed caps, they're swollen when wet but the light will dry them, thus shrinking the hull. They normally get ripped off as the hook pulls through the soil. I've misted the hull with water then taken a pair of needle nose pliers and gently squeezed the corners.
That always works, providing there's some play between the sprout and hull...

Greg

Thanks, Greg! I may cull out some plants as I know there is some 'taste' overlap also with my varieties. It's tough to do, wanna try them all and keep them all! For the Red Bhuts, it's funny CPI "warns" growers their Bhuts are NOT for beginners...I'm glad I at least got one, keeping fingers crossed it lives on.

For stuck seed caps, I've had several more than last year--but these are the C. Chinense in which I am mostly noob. I love the Hoffman Seed Starter, but maybe it is so fluffy it doesn't scrape the cap off quite as well. It's not a deal breaker. Another factor: my grow area is in the fam room with a pellet stove on other end--so humidity is generally low. I have tried misting the caps multiple times to soften, and also nail clippers to free the edges--it worked once out of 8 tries. Next time I'll try your pliers idea.

Your germ chart doesn't look so bad. I'm not sure, but it seems like you
have selected challenging varieties to propagate, so have decent results
considering. Good luck as you continue this season! Looking forward to
more great posts, always interesting and informative!

Thanks, Paul G! Like you I'm getting a few stragglers in my January grow to help my germ rate a bit. I had 2 Bhuts from CPI germinate in cups after about 25 days, and one popped up in the soil also. Little victories...

Now here's the start of my Main Grow which began Feb 4. It features 35 different varieties planted in these cells in half the tray, and also 32 of the same seed types starting in cups. Basically would like to compare both methods for various reasons, build up my confidence in each.

So here they go--all sharing the same space. Seeds in Hoffmans Seed Starter Mix, seeds in Jello Shot cups (4-layer coffee filter medium at the bottom, seeds lay on top):

2012%2520start%2520205%2520002.jpg

They'll share the same environment under a heat mat at 84F

2012%2520start%2520205%2520003.jpg

Here's the competitors:
C. Baccatum:
Inca Red Drop
Guampinha de Veado
Lemon Drop
Aji Amarillo (repeat)
Aji Rojo
Aji Picante

C. Frutescens:
Siling Labuyo

C. Annuum:
Anaheim
Giant Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardellos
Pakistani
Sweet Cayenne
Mulato Isleno
Chilhuacle Rojo
Fresno
Piment d Espelette
Pimento
Jalapeno Zapotec
Jalapeno Biker Billy
Jalapeno M
Jalapeno Early
Serrano Tampiqueno
Joe E Parker
Big Jim
Heritage 6-4
Nancy D mystery Hatch
Piquin Bailey
Hungarian Wax
Chimayo
Feher Ozon 8[sup]th[/sup] St
Labuya
Serrano Huasteco
Jalmundo
Peppermania mystery

C. Chinense repeats:
Scotch Bonnet
Red Savina (cup only)

Looks like a great list Sil. What's the deal with the Saran wrap? My humidity dome doesn't fit, gotta love the NOT-matching set, does the plastic work better??

... What's the deal with the Saran wrap? My humidity dome doesn't fit, gotta love the NOT-matching set, does the plastic work better??...

I think the plastic wrap works way mo betta. It keeps the moisture right in the cell--easier than humidifying the whole dome. Hoffmans actually recommends something similar--putting the seedling tray in a bag. I do like the dome to keep the heat steady.

I pull the plastic twice a day to check the action. Any sprout immediately goes into the fresh air under the lights, the other cells return to the heated germinator. Here's three newbies from this AM. I'm using Muskymojo's technique to cut each cell and move it to the lights. (Thanks MM!)

2012%2520start%2520212%2520011.jpg

In the last epidsode, I was starting my main grow for the year by testing sprouting methods. One was to plant seeds directly in the growing medium. The other was to sprout in cups/coffee filters, then transfer to the growing medium:

The results: a slight edge for the seeds grown directly in the medium. The ones born in cups are to the right of the Misto spray bottle. Everything in this group was started Feb 4th:

2012%2520start%2520219%2520006.jpg

A slight height advantage for the medium born plants:

2012%2520start%2520219%2520007.jpg

Keep in mind the test also involved extended waiting beyond initial sprouting. Usually I plant as soon as I see any root action, this time I waited until I could see green:

2012%2520garden5.jpg

IMO this is a royal pain. Besides the risk of damaging the root, it is a tedious process of getting the root into the medium. By the way, the root was not growing into the coffee filter, just looks that way.

The results gave me much more confidence in planting seeds directly in the 'dirt.' I will continue to use cups, however, to test seed viability, and to speed up germination of any tough characters.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

Finally, the January wave of C. Chinense plants grew to a point I can now pot up. My grow area is slower than most--I think it is because the humidity is very low in the room, and it drops to 62F at night when the lights go out. Everything in this group was started Jan 3rd (placed in baggies or cups) and most sprouted 10 days later on average. Ferts have been 1/8th strength Botanicare Pro Grow, Karma and Cal Mag at every watering. Now using low dose fish emulsion also.

Anyway, hopefully these will now hit a higher gear after pot-up:

2012%2520start%2520219%2520014.jpg

Growth really dropped off last week, a little yellowing, I probably waited a little too long--will see if a new set of shoes will make them happier. Will bump up nutes to 1/4 strength also.

2012%2520start%2520219%2520017.jpg

Inspite of the slower growing plants, and lusting over other better Grow Logs out there, this is actually a big goal for me: getting a fairly decent rootball prior to pot-up.

2012%2520garden4.jpg

Well, its about 3 months to plant out here (about 6 weeks to utilize my mini-greehouse outside). It is so nice to be working with C. Annuums again. They should blow right past the C. Chinense which I started a month earlier. Long range Wx forecasters now saying Spring will be 'average' here, unlike the bitter cold late one last year. Where is the praying emoticon.... :cool:

As always, good stuff, S-man! Your documentation of your trials is great.
The seedlings are nice and bushy/stocky, should transplant just fine with
those well-developed root plugs. Can't wait to see your 'surgical' results!
Thanks for taking the time to post this stuff.

BTW I think I like your bubble foil skirts as opposed to my aluminum foil ones.

:pray: praying for a nice Spring season in the NW!

Those are some great looking starts man!!
Excellent roots!! :cool:

Your Maui Purple is gorgeous!
Thanks to you, Kevin, that plant is king of Idaho. It came out strong, the sole survivor, after I genocided everything else in my first batch of homemade starter medium! As I struggle keeping other finnicky plants happy, your Georgia-heritage Maui Purple stands tall and getting taller...

As always, good stuff, S-man! Your documentation of your trials is great.
The seedlings are nice and bushy/stocky, should transplant just fine with
those well-developed root plugs. Can't wait to see your 'surgical' results!
Thanks for taking the time to post this stuff.

BTW I think I like your bubble foil skirts as opposed to my aluminum foil ones.

:pray: praying for a nice Spring season in the NW!

Well, I can't top the Mad Pepper Scientist of the NW, aka PaulG. You must have really small electrodes attached to your cloned plants and a kite flying over the Columbia River during storms generating power. My divide and conquer 'surgeries' did go okay yesterday which produced extra plants, and now I have to think of unsuspecting gardener friends to give them to in Spring as my collection grows.

As I was transplanting yesterday, I got the feeling I waited a little too long for the pot up for some of the plants. The root hairs are so small at that first stage, there might be a diminishing value in going for max roots. I potted up into 2.5 x 3.5 tall containers where maybe that is where rootball nirvana lies.

I love that bubble foil stuff. It makes great flaps on the light fixtures. I was thinking of taping a mylar layer from a space blanket on the 'working' side of it to get better relectivity, however.

Yes, praying for a decent Spring. I sacrificed a perfectly good skiing season to mild winter--better get something out it... :cool:

Looking good Sil. Reminds me of my grow with low night temps and low humidity. My plants are similar in size. I am holding back on transplanting though. Just a bit. Good luck this year.

Well, I can't top the Mad Pepper Scientist of the NW, aka PaulG. You must have really small electrodes attached to your cloned plants and a kite flying over the Columbia River during storms generating power.
I may be mad, but we'll see what kind of scientist I am when the clones
root in or croak! It will be interesting to see. I imagine the annuums will root readily.​
My divide and conquer 'surgeries' did go okay yesterday which produced extra plants, and now I have to think of unsuspecting gardener friends to give them to in Spring as my collection grows.
that's the downside of cloning! We need to plan better in the future!
As I was transplanting yesterday, I got the feeling I waited a little too long for the pot up for some of the plants. The root hairs are so small at that first stage, there might be a diminishing value in going for max roots. I potted up into 2.5 x 3.5 tall containers where maybe that is where rootball nirvana lies.
The root plugs look great - I don't see any problem there at all. They look
like they will break apart easily at the bottoms to spread out the ends. I think I
Transplanted some a little early, but you know, I bet it all comes out in the wash!
I love that bubble foil stuff. It makes great flaps on the light fixtures. I was thinking of taping a mylar layer from a space blanket on the 'working' side of it to get better relectivity, however.
That's an idea - too bad there's not something already layered like that! I wonder what UPS/FedX has?
Yes, praying for a decent Spring. I sacrificed a perfectly good skiing season to mild winter--better get something out it... :cool:
Yeah, I think I picked a good year for foot surgery - The decent snow for back country ski backpacking
just isn't there. Again. For the third year in a row. This weather pattern is just totally FUBAR :banghead: I may​
have to get into growing hot peppers!​

Back