• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Silver Surfer's 2010 Grow

Thanks fellas.

How much you cut them back really depends on the space you have available for overwintering. If you have ample space, don't cut them back at all and that's the way I did it the fist time I overwintered only a few, but mites and aphids were more of a problem. If you want to overwinter and only have a small area to spare or want to carry more plants over, whack them back to a stump and prune the roots to fit a smaller pot.

Thanks fellas.

How much you cut them back really depends on the space you have available for overwintering. If you have ample space, don't cut them back at all and that's the way I did it the fist time I overwintered only a few, but mites and aphids were more of a problem. If you want to overwinter and only have a small area to spare or want to carry more plants over, whack them back to a stump and prune the roots to fit a smaller pot.

This overwintering thing is new to me but I am going to try with some of mine this year. With thanks to many of you on this forum I did grow about 26 nice large plants from the Carribean Red to the Bhut Jolokia! My problem is that I started way too late and many of them are just now putting forth some fruit... It is getting down to 32 degrees tonight but back in the mid 50's during the day.
My question is can you cover the plants (they are potted in 5 gallon containers) with sheets to shield them from the night? We usually don't get quit this cold this early in the year... Probably have some more good weather coming.
Ideas?

Thanks!

Sheets will protect a plant from frost, but not a "hard" freeze. It sounds like you're having the same weather as I and covering my Manzanos with sheets is exactly what I plan on doing this weekend during these mild freezes with hopes of ripening a few during the warm up that follows. Hopefully the warmer weather will last long enough for us to harvest a few more chilies this season. :)

So yes, go for it and good luck.

Back