• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Silver_Surfer's season starts

Nice job man, that photos a keeper, and also your displaying varieties not normally mentioned here....way to go!

wow.. wicked pictures man.
and thats a nice lineup with the names.. write or wrong. I see some in there that should be on one of my trees. lol. see what happens i guess. lol

Well, I had corn, but it's finished producing, cantaloupe, but the deer got the lion's share of that, okra (serious overload), 4 types of pole beans, maters, loads of butternut squash and cucumbers.

Texas??? I hear it's hot in Texas. :) They're more of a peach color and I'm told they are supposed to ripen red. I planted them as PI 441598, a chile from Brazil.

Here's a pic I made of some of the varieties I'm growing, right or wrong. It's not complete and I'll add pics of more later as they ripen.
PeppersTagged.jpg

That's a nice variety, and a lot of uncommon ones. Which ones would you say are your favorites? What are the Morougas like? I can't ever seem to find any information on them because google searches always turn up tons of Trinidad Scorpion Morouga results.

Great pods and pics
Quintisho looks a little odd to me compared to the smaller, rounder type that I grow. Morouga yellow looks quite different than my version too

Awesome garden S.S. Thanks for the chart.

Yes, fire ants definitely suck. We've got them bad where we are. Best Eco-friendly way to kill them is to pour a pot of boiling water on the mound. It cooks 'em right on the spot.

Oh, and if you run out of table space again, I've got some extra. :lol:

Thanks for the comments everyone!

You ain't that old Robert. You remember pinning bugs and such and putting everything on a poster board and competing with classmates on who had he best one. Only reason I though of it was my youngest son was recently in one.

Seven inches eh?
Ah yeah, did it with bugs and leaves, but that's been loooong ago. :lol:

That's a nice variety, and a lot of uncommon ones. Which ones would you say are your favorites? What are the Morougas like? I can't ever seem to find any information on them because google searches always turn up tons of Trinidad Scorpion Morouga results.
I'll let you know when I finally get around to tasting all of them.

Great pods and pics
Quintisho looks a little odd to me compared to the smaller, rounder type that I grow. Morouga yellow looks quite different than my version too
The Quintisho plant I have (seeds from Beth) produces pods that range from round small marble sized to the elongated pod in the pic. They all taste the same though. :) Yeah, I think the Morouga yellow isn't pure from the looks of the pods produced.
I also noticed that I made a mistake and reversed the Cayenne Thick and Inorka pods in the pic. The Congo Brown I got from Beth looks off from her pics as well.

Thanks for the pics, this is very informative.

Y'know, i dont see there's abig difference in the Jalapenos, they look quite similar (you'd think that Gigante will be bigger). I bet the difference is in taste?

Wicked looking bright red pod. Medium size, not as big as a Brown 7, but bigger than average. Skin feels a bit thin, not as plastic as a 7, it also feels thinner than a 7 or a scorpion. More like a Bhut Jolokia. When I cut it open there was a strong rush of fruity / floral smell. Medium seed count but they are pretty small making eating a whole pod easier if you are so inclined. Texture is like a Bhut Jolokia, feels a bit thinner than a normal 7 and nothing like a scorpion. Flavor was very similar to a Red 7, very fruity. I was able to eat every bite with out thinking it tasted bad. I need to try a scorpion again to refresh my flavor memory. Heat was brutal. Started with a light sting but built up quickly. Concentrated in the tongue, back top of the throat and tonsils. Heat was piercing and felt like a hot coal was forced down your throat. (Hot coal stage) No weird side effects like ringing ears, or hiccups, or aching teeth. Best of all no stomach pain at all. It’s 1 hour later still no razor blades, just a nice warm stomach. Heat was definitely in the top 3 or 4 ever. So hard to say definitively because there are so many variables but it is definitely a contender. Thanks Silver Surfer!

Same wicked looking pod but a nice deep, dark brown. Medium size, not as big as a Brown 7, but bigger than average. Skin feels a bit thin, and gives when you press it. Does not really feel like a 7 or a scorpion. You can’t really squeeze a 7 it really feels like hard plastic. Scorpions feel more like a habanero. When I cut it open there was a sweet mellow earthy odor. Almost exactly like a chocolate Bhut Jolokia. Kind of a signature brown pepper smell. Medium seed count and they are pretty small just like the red one making eating a whole pod easier if you are insane. (It had 62 seeds) Texture is like a Bhut Jolokia, feels a bit thinner than a normal 7 and nothing like a scorpion. You could see the drops of oil oozing from this one. Flavor was initially very similar to a Chocolate Bhut. However, I was not able to eat every bite with out thinking it tasted bad. Towards the top the capsaicin really took over and it started to resemble sweet battery acid. LOL Heat was beyond brutal. Started with a light sting but built up quickly. Concentrated in the roof of the mouth, back top of the throat and tonsils. Heat was piercing and felt like a hot coal was forced down your throat and being held in place by a powerful plasma blow torch. No weird side effects like ringing ears, or hiccups, or aching teeth. I did get quite a bit of stomach pain. It lasted about for about 15 minutes after I turned off the video. Not razor blades, but more just a bad stomach ache. It’s 1 hour later and I feel fine now. Heat was definitely in the top 2. Quite a bit hotter than the red one. Similar to what I remember the Brown 7 like. Silver Surfer sent a Brown 7 from seed that I sent him last year in the box so I will TRY and have that tomorrow to compare the heat. I also want to compare the flavor. I remember the Brown 7 tasting very very good. Thanks Silver Surfer this one is a killer.

Thanks for the pics, this is very informative.

Y'know, i dont see there's abig difference in the Jalapenos, they look quite similar (you'd think that Gigante will be bigger). I bet the difference is in taste?
Yeah, and they're getting smaller as the season progresses, but in their defense they are being overwhelmed and overrun by the Chinense row to the east of them and shaded out by the pole beans to the west. I'll have to give them another trial next year under better growing conditions. The taste is very similar, but they differ in heat level, with the Bikers the hottest of the 3. I'm not that fond of the color of the Gigante pods when green as they are a much lighter shade than the others.

I picked these this morning because I got in the mood for some poppers. You can see the variance in the pod sizes in this harvest. The Gigante pods (seeds from Burpee) are the more blocky shaped pods and never display corking to the degree I see in the Biker Billy or Mucho Nacho pods, but my 10 shaded and stunted peno plants have supplied my needs adequately despite their less than optimal location. 4 Lbs 14oz of penos.
Penos8-25-11.jpg

After cutting the okra, suffering many fire ant bites and picking these pods I quit and headed back indoors. Lots of pods out there to pick and I've been putting it off cause I don't know what I'll do with them. Freezer is full, canning jars are about used up and I have all of the dried ones I need. Maybe I'll get my lazy butt started this weekend as cooler temps are predicted and offer some fresh pods online.

Wicked looking bright red pod. Medium size, not as big as a Brown 7, but bigger than average. Skin feels a bit thin, not as plastic as a 7, it also feels thinner than a 7 or a scorpion. More like a Bhut Jolokia. When I cut it open there was a strong rush of fruity / floral smell. Medium seed count but they are pretty small making eating a whole pod easier if you are so inclined. Texture is like a Bhut Jolokia, feels a bit thinner than a normal 7 and nothing like a scorpion. Flavor was very similar to a Red 7, very fruity. I was able to eat every bite with out thinking it tasted bad. I need to try a scorpion again to refresh my flavor memory. Heat was brutal. Started with a light sting but built up quickly. Concentrated in the tongue, back top of the throat and tonsils. Heat was piercing and felt like a hot coal was forced down your throat. (Hot coal stage) No weird side effects like ringing ears, or hiccups, or aching teeth. Best of all no stomach pain at all. It’s 1 hour later still no razor blades, just a nice warm stomach. Heat was definitely in the top 3 or 4 ever. So hard to say definitively because there are so many variables but it is definitely a contender. Thanks Silver Surfer!

Same wicked looking pod but a nice deep, dark brown. Medium size, not as big as a Brown 7, but bigger than average. Skin feels a bit thin, and gives when you press it. Does not really feel like a 7 or a scorpion. You can’t really squeeze a 7 it really feels like hard plastic. Scorpions feel more like a habanero. When I cut it open there was a sweet mellow earthy odor. Almost exactly like a chocolate Bhut Jolokia. Kind of a signature brown pepper smell. Medium seed count and they are pretty small just like the red one making eating a whole pod easier if you are insane. (It had 62 seeds) Texture is like a Bhut Jolokia, feels a bit thinner than a normal 7 and nothing like a scorpion. You could see the drops of oil oozing from this one. Flavor was initially very similar to a Chocolate Bhut. However, I was not able to eat every bite with out thinking it tasted bad. Towards the top the capsaicin really took over and it started to resemble sweet battery acid. LOL Heat was beyond brutal. Started with a light sting but built up quickly. Concentrated in the roof of the mouth, back top of the throat and tonsils. Heat was piercing and felt like a hot coal was forced down your throat and being held in place by a powerful plasma blow torch. No weird side effects like ringing ears, or hiccups, or aching teeth. I did get quite a bit of stomach pain. It lasted about for about 15 minutes after I turned off the video. Not razor blades, but more just a bad stomach ache. It’s 1 hour later and I feel fine now. Heat was definitely in the top 2. Quite a bit hotter than the red one. Similar to what I remember the Brown 7 like. Silver Surfer sent a Brown 7 from seed that I sent him last year in the box so I will TRY and have that tomorrow to compare the heat. I also want to compare the flavor. I remember the Brown 7 tasting very very good. Thanks Silver Surfer this one is a killer.
Awesome reviews Mike. You definitely handle the heat with more composure than I when tasting those devils. The brown one kicked my butt but good and you described the pain and flavor very accurately. I combine these with others for flavor and only a few of these are needed to really kick up the heat several notches. I'm looking forward to seeing you eat another brown 7 too. :)

Nice variety & pics :)
Thanks guy, you have a fine variety as well.

Michael when you said over the top hot for the red one I didn't want to watch you eat the brown one--but I did. How you keep going back for another bite is totally beyond my understanding.

SS looks and sounds like you have a couple of winners on your hands. Very cool.

Surfer,

permission to use your picture (the one with all the peppers). I will be using it to educate the general public on the sample amount of pepper types.

Thanks fellas.

Surfer,

permission to use your picture (the one with all the peppers). I will be using it to educate the general public on the sample amount of pepper types.
Sure, you're welcome to it.

I managed to finish most of a harvest yesterday and take this shot before the light failed and...
Harvest1_8-27-11.jpg

snap this pic of the second table this AM.
Harvest2_8-27-11.jpg

Back