• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Silver_Surfer's season starts

Thanks fellas. I'm thinking I may have planted too early. I just hope spring comes early and March is mild. :)

The plants are really enjoying this weather and have been placed outdoors for the past several days.
C. Annuums in the center tray @ 23 days from seed are already over taking the 10 day older C. Chinense in outer 2 trays planted 33 days ago on 1-20-11.
Chinense-Annuums2-22-11s.jpg

The 2.5" pots are already getting too small, roots are exiting the bottom and it's about time to pot up again.
Chinense-AnnuumsA2-22-11s.jpg

Wow SS!

Those plants look strong and healthy and BIG! :eek:

About when can you plant out to the garden?

Beautiful plants SS, How long have they been spending outside each day?
and I also want to inquire,, when do you plan your plant out.

Kevin

Thanks guys.

I didn't get them in the garden last year until April, but hope to get them in the ground at the end of March this season. I think we'll have an early Spring this year; I'm counting on it. ;)

This is the 4th day they have spent some time outdoors. The first day they stayed outside about 90 minutes, 2nd day 3 hours, yesterday they stayed outside from around 7AM until 4PM (mostly cloudy all day but light wind) and today they'll stay out all day too (it's sunny today), but the porch roof will shield them from direct sun starting around 12:30PM.

Very nice! It's amazing how fast they grow when you give them more dirt. I've been trying to hold off on potting up and starving my plants fearing that I'll run out of room too fast. :lol:

Those outdoor family shots look great! They're really well grouped and growing at similar rates. I hope I can fill my trays up like that. Douglah X Scorpion should be incredible!

They're already playing in the sun. I have got to get the hell out of Nebraska.

Babies are looking real good SS congrats. Hope spring shows up early for you.

Thanks all. :)

Day 36 from seed for some day 26 for others.
Many were starting to get root bound in the 2.5 inch pots so I potted up these 120 plants yesterday.
Pottedup2_2-24-11.jpg

Catching a few rays after a bad storm passed through here last night.
Pottedup1_2-24-11.jpg

How long you letting them play in the sun S.S.? What is your last freeze date? We have two and a half months to go yet. Yours is what, next week?

Just to let you know the Trini Scorp yellow seeds you sent are doing well.

Beautiful plants already SS. Mine are sooooo far behind its not even funny anymore.

We also just got over that nasty storm, I didn't sleep at all last night cause the wind and thunder.

Thanks everyone.

How long you letting them play in the sun S.S.? What is your last freeze date? We have two and a half months to go yet. Yours is what, next week?

Just to let you know the Trini Scorp yellow seeds you sent are doing well.
Nice to hear the seeds are doing fine.

They are at the back of a covered porch that faces east so they were in the shade by around 10:30 this morning. I give them a rest the day after a transplant. They will need to come back indoors tonight, but will get placed farther east tomorrow to give them a longer time in the sun.

My freeze date data:
Frostdates.jpg

No frost forecast for the next 10 days, but the plants will sleep indoors anytime the temps drop below 50F. I'll be surprised if we don't get at least 1 more frost sometime in March.
TenDay.jpg

Beautiful plants already SS. Mine are sooooo far behind its not even funny anymore.

We also just got over that nasty storm, I didn't sleep at all last night cause the wind and thunder.
Yeah, it's hard to sleep through howling wind and booming thunder with a tornado watch in progress. March usually starts with a bang though. ;)

Very Impressive SS. I wish I was able to take your advice and pot up to the #1 pots shortly, but have no place to put them yet, too cold.

Thank you guys.

I potted up some more today to #1 pots and snapped a few pics of the roots of some young seedlings after they had spent some time in Pro-Mix BX.

These were planted 1-30-11 and moved from a 72 cell seed flat with Jiffy Mix to 2.5" x 3.5" pots containing Pro-Mix BX 18 days later on 2-17-11. They've spent their life under T5 lights 24/7 and here they are after spending 9 days in BX.
27DayOldSeedlings.jpg

You can see how roots are already filling the 2.5" pot. Some of the larger plants I moved 2 days ago to #1 pots that were planted on the same day had more roots and were really root bound after 1 week in the stuff, but I forgot to take pics. Maybe I'll remember to take a few shots of the tomatoes I started today after they've been introduced to BX.
27DayOldRoots.jpg

Silver: great looking plants - although I'm not surprised. If I buy you a ticket, put you up in a hotel, buy your meals, etc. will you come to Illinois and teach me how to grow chiles like yours :)

Back