• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Simple Caribbean Hab Sauce

Got in that saucing mood today, so I went supermarket pepper hunting and came upon the happy surprise of decent quality Caribbean habs, for $3.50/pound :woohoo:
Simple sauce

40 x Caribbean red habs (seeds included, the acid/cooking-down softened them up making them unnoticeable)
2 x carrots
1 head of garlic (Needed more, 2 heads for next time and maybe some horseradish)
about 2 cups lime juice
2 cups lemon juice
2 table spoons of salt

makes about 20 ounces of thick sauce.

Didn't have the camera ready before the pepper desecration but here goes
5542149820_82cfc70f52_b.jpg

Into the food processor we go
5541491103_a2d6aa4bfd_z.jpg

^^^ then into the blender, missed the money shot on that one

20-25 minutes boiling/simmering really makes me want to dunk my head in :dance:
5541492587_e0cea6b13b_z.jpg

After heat packing, final product 20ounces of doom. (bit more canned for the freezer)
5542088036_10aa67d6c4_b.jpg

The lemon or lime by themselves in those measures would have been fine for acidity(pH). Never hurts to go over for flavor of course. I use lemon more then lime out of preference.

Would suggest boiling 30+ minutes.

Looks yummy. The basics are fun when you start with a good tasting pepper.

Looks pretty good. I'd bet it has a good bit of heat too. I've been meaning to start experimenting with carrots in sauces and this seems like a good starting point.

Although the only safe way to tell how long things will last is with a pH meter, the measurements in this make it seem quite acidic (as Omri mentioned). My guess would be that if you canned it properly, it would keep quite a while.

Although the only safe way to tell how long things will last is with a pH meter, the measurements in this make it seem quite acidic (as Omri mentioned). My guess would be that if you canned it properly, it would keep quite a while.

Forgot to mention the Ph above. It's at 3.4 definitely safe. ;)

Back