• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

since its that time for some of us

i'm looking at options to put my plants into hibernation, i was thinking about using 1 gallon pots, but i cant subject myself to them being i have tons of tidy cat buckets.  with that being said, are they acceptable to use for overwintering?  being i'll be making drainage holes obviously, but nonetheless i'd love to make sure before i start ripping stuff out. 

It depends on the size of your plant and how drastically you prune back the crown and roots. A cat litter bucket would be probably too big for how big my dug-up OWs are. I usually use something like a 1-1.5 gallon pot. Just make sure it's not so big that there's too much soil for the plant's root ball. Soil might stay too wet and lead to root rot.

I must be getting old but I have developed a soft spot for this little white bhut jolokia. Damn little weekling barely over a foot tall, tossed off in a crappie corner of a flower garden, took a beaten all summer long from the morning glory. Thinking of making a pet(bonchi) out of her. I really hate keeping root stock over the winter-better for me to get a head start germination of seeds for the year.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     It depends on the size of your plant and how drastically you prune back the crown and roots. A cat litter bucket would be probably too big for how big my dug-up OWs are. I usually use something like a 1-1.5 gallon pot. Just make sure it's not so big that there's too much soil for the plant's root ball. Soil might stay too wet and lead to root rot.

which is why i was thinking about cutting the buckets up, i know those buckets are roughly 5 gallons give or take a little.    
dragonsfire said:
What about Straw ? Any farmers around..

i could possibly get straw, but i do want to re arrange things, pull stuff out etc.  i'm going to be disturbing things for sure lol.   do peppers winter fine with straw?  its my first year wintering stuff and i wanna make sure i do it right :) 

Yeah, your buckets ought to be fine, then. Just customize their size to fit the root balls. As far as the straw goes... If the plan is to just surround the plants with bales of straw in the garden and expect them to overwinter outside - not a chance. They will certainly die in an Ohio winter. Maybe I'm understanding that wrong, though.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Yeah, your buckets ought to be fine, then. Just customize their size to fit the root balls. As far as the straw goes... If the plan is to just surround the plants with bales of straw in the garden and expect them to overwinter outside - not a chance. They will certainly die in an Ohio winter. Maybe I'm understanding that wrong, though.
thats what i was thinking, sometimes in lorain we get pretty cold. 

gangaskan said:
thats what i was thinking, sometimes in lorain we get pretty cold. 
As in Loraine Ohio?
I'm in Cincinnati & I'd have to bury my backyard under 8-10 layers of straw with the winters we have. Lol, the overnight lows last week or so have really slowed my plants down.
I'm already cutting off small immature pods, flowers, buds, branches, etc. Trying to get them ready for OW'ing.

take a scissors, cut vine, add rooting hormone to stem and stick in a 2 quart pot.
overwintering is for people who don't know how to root peppers. ;)
next year you'll have early pods and likely a better plant that what you previously had.

Brutaldiver said:
As in Loraine Ohio?
I'm in Cincinnati & I'd have to bury my backyard under 8-10 layers of straw with the winters we have. Lol, the overnight lows last week or so have really slowed my plants down.
I'm already cutting off small immature pods, flowers, buds, branches, etc. Trying to get them ready for OW'ing.

yup, in the middle of sandusky and cleveland  ;)   

Back