• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Since the Moruga will be the next "big" one for a moment...

Having a background in law enforcement and being a professional witness in certain types of cases it funny to see all the "testimony" we have here that is strictly heresay. "When one person speaks for or repeats information for which they have no personal knowledge". When information travels through different sources it becomes distorted and useless.

Useless..........be good to hear from the real players and silence from the "heresayers".

Just my personal thoughts.

Very true armac. Honestly we are just volleying a ball around here. None of us have any idea how similar/different the genetics are and neither does Jim Duffy. Only a DNA test can say for sure. I don't think "But they look the same!" is a great argument I just think it might be something we can reflect upon. I also don't think there are any real players in this game unless you are talking about the CPI experiment. I'm waiting for the Hort Science publication before I say anything else about that. As far as the Brain Strain and TSMB go (and perhaps Infinity as well) all we can do is get some samples sent for genetic testing. It just hasn't been done yet. Otherwise we're just arguing over how similar they appear and not how similar they are.

So just to be clear, you are not really trying to clear anything up, just volleying?

Thanks for letting me know, I usually pass on the volleying.

Carry on and enjoy the sport.

the varieties grown by different people, in different countries, from different sources ... that exhibit similar characteristics (among other things we talk about seeds from a small island)
What you going to find with genetic testing?
different varieties will be born from a common ancestor ... and then?

I repeat, you talk about the test and what it meant ... everything else is just talk

Tomorrow I'll call my pepper megamaster trinidad ... certainly result in similar but different from the others (after the cultivation of 4 years in Italy)

this gives me rights? I think not!

i repeat my question: there is not some that grown chilies just for hobby?

So just to be clear, you are not really trying to clear anything up, just volleying?

Thanks for letting me know, I usually pass on the volleying.

Carry on and enjoy the sport.

I think for a while it was an open discussion over several topics. The first was just talking about the TSMB record, but when the Brain Strain and other Trinidad genetics got brought into the picture everything kinda got hectic. Some things were cleared up, some things weren't. I originally was trying to clear things up while also giving my opinions on how the genetics came to be this way but I thought I made when I was theorizing clear. Maybe I didn't. I guess my bad on that.

At this point I'm getting a headache trying to clear all of this up but here's the general conclusions we've come down to:

-Jim provided the seeds for the CPI Testing
-Jim doesn't think the Brain Strain is a unique strain to the TSMB
-We cannot say for sure whether or not the Brain Strain is a completely unique strain
-The seeds for the TSMB can all be traced back to Chris Phillips who got them from Trinidad as an 'experimental variety'. They were labeled "Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend"
-The seeds for the Brain Strain came from Cappy who got them from Sarah in Trinidad. They were called "7 Pot SR Strain". There were unique bumpy pods that grew that he ended up growing and labeling the Brain Strain.

MOST of the rest of this is trying to make sense of what happened here and exactly what is going on with all of the Trinidad genetics. There were a lot of theories boiling about but that's how science starts. Now we have to test those theories. You volley around until we can come up with a concrete enough hypothesis to go out and test, and then when we test it we can come to better conclusions. Right now the only hypothesis we have to test is "The Brain Strain and TSMB are close enough in genetics to each other to be called the same strain". Jim Duffy is touting that as fact just because he grew them next to each other, which is just fairytale science unfortunately. Jim Duffy is not a scientist he is a farmer. That's where the confusion has started.

I'm willing to part with everything else I've said to leave it at that.

so now,
i grow chilis to eat and to share with unsuspecting victims
i also have shared seeds with others and them with me

( i have never tried or grown these record holders at all)

if i call chili by any name it is to HELP to give the others some idea of what to expect

i can not help others that want to make me or others run a gene test on chilis i am trading and think it is less than important

if some one wants a royalty for their name please give it to them or
just call things any way you want so others will know what is what

if we find the brain to be genetic alike with record holder all is good
as the brain could be also viewed as record holder without spending a dime

no one but one has even mentioned that any others involved DID something to them

what might the trinidad and tobago people that these seeds were (actually) from call the variety now?

what will they say when they see how child like some are acting regards of what we call 'their' chilis?

i think the trading and sharing should still go on

and whether i call a mallard a duck or a goose it still quacks and poops doesn't it

Well yeah of course. You can choose to be a hobbyist or a scientist. At the end of the day biology still exists and we shouldn't all ignore it just because we're willfully ignorant. I'd rather go find out because it's an interesting thing to study and might help us better understand the genetics. The CPI exists for a reason.

131368500574.jpg

In Previewing

The super hot
that will upset
all records in the world.
All current super hot
become
sweet in comparison to

"The ultimate Scorpion" by luigimex's garden.

Its appearance is terrifying
his body is armored like a crocodile
His tail is deadly
Its spiciness can break 100 elephants.
It can only be handled by explosives experts.
Need to carry firearms
to carry it around.

1 packet of 2 seeds = $ 100

The money must be sent to the following address

http://www.hopeforthepoorchildren.org/about_us.html

Immagine019.jpg

canonsx146.jpg

Does anyone know how I can get a hold of Mr. Jonah? I am growing 7 Pot Jonah's and I have a few questions for him...

Does anyone know how I can get a hold of Mr. Jonah? I am growing 7 Pot Jonah's and I have a few questions for him...

He is still in whale's belly. But if you talk to someone who may have talked to someone near the ocean , who may seen a whale, and you can get a comment from him. That will suffice for the comments we get here.

Still don't get it. Frustrating to say the least. I like your style Mr. armac.

Be careful with that thing Luigi, you might kill somebody!

I probably could get you in contact with him. lol. :) A friend of a friend. I don't know if the person who knew him still has discussions with him though.

Chris

Too funny. You're selling them too cheap. $100 for one seed seems more appropriate. Those are some awesome looking peppers! I love the way they retain the original Scorpion morphology, but now are very bumpy. If anyone could breed the record winning pepper, you would be it. It also would grow on a plant that is 35 feet tall. :)

Chris

In Previewing

The super hot
that will upset
all records in the world.
All current super hot
become
sweet in comparison to

"The ultimate Scorpion" by luigimex's garden.

Its appearance is terrifying
his body is armored like a crocodile
His tail is deadly
Its spiciness can break 100 elephants.
It can only be handled by explosives experts.
Need to carry firearms
to carry it around.

1 packet of 2 seeds = $ 100

The money must be sent to the following address

http://www.hopeforth...g/about_us.html

This is not about money this is about getting the right scientific name for the pepper that was tested at CPI. A 7 Pot cannot be called "Moruga Scorpion" in the history of peppers we need to make this right. Jim Duffy and his Moruga is a big sham and CPI needs to correct the classification of this pepper as a 7 Pod Brain SR with proper credit to Sara. He has done more harm to our hobby with his deceptive naming and needs to be stopped. Do not trust Jim Duffy.

Cappy,
You have to be kidding. The right scientific name? I've never heard of 7 Pod Brain SR until right now. You said 7 Pod Brain Strain came from a mutation of 7 Pod Red SR, and you have been selectively breeding that mutation since 2008. That is now 3 names in 4 years for something that you believe came from the same pack of seeds labeled 7 Pod Red SR. Why are you the only person worthy of renaming strains? You also said the mutant plant that spawned the Brain Strain was different, with much more wrinkled pods than any other plant from the same seeds. You didn't bother taking the time to see if you actually had a new stable strain before renaming it and selling it as a whole new strain. You also didn't bother giving Sara any credit when you chose the name 7 Pod Brain Strain. There is no "SR" on the end of it. Who are you trying to fool? The red pods in the below post are 7 Pod Brain Strain that you sold this past July. They do not look any more wrinkled than any other red 7 pod I have ever seen. Actually, some of them look almost glossy smooth. You might have had one really cool plant a few years ago, but how is your breeding coming along? Tell me again what is so special about these pods, and why you deserve any credit for the current record holder, or anything else for that matter. I don't get it...

Here are some pics of the Brain strains and chocolate trinidad scorps pods i got on friday too. Haven't had chance to try them yet. Will probably do so tonite.

P1020002.jpg

P1020001.jpg

P1020004.jpg

Back