• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Siv's second time lucky? 2020 Glog

And so it begins:
49483430111_c990f14653_c.jpg

From left to right:
  1. Growdown Fatalii - Seed Savers Exchange
  2. Kang Starr Lemon Starburst - Pepper Donkey [new for 2020]
  3. Bahamian Goat - Pepper Donkey
  4. Sugar Rush Peach - Pepper Donkey
  5. Dorset Naga - Pepper Donkey [new for 2020]
  6. Piri Piri - All Good Things [new for 2020]
  7. Peppadew - THP seed train (I think) [new for 2020]
  8. Turbo Pube - fataliiseeds.net [new for 2020]
  9. Datil - THP Seed Train
  10. White Ghost - Pepper Donkey
  11. Purple Thunder - PaulG [new for 2020]
  12. Leviathan Gnarly Scorpion - WHP (I think) [new for 2020]
  13. Solid Gold But - saiias [new for 2020]
All the seeds look pretty good other than the piri piri which seem small and darker than expected. We'll see how it does. Overall, I think I have a good mix of heat and colour. Maybe I need to add something yellow as the growdown fatalii looks orange.

I'll put together another tray next weekend. Last year was easy as I had limited seeds, this year has been near impossible to choose what to grow as I have so many seeds thanks to the kindness of PaulG and the THP seed train.

I'm debating if I should do an Aji this year. Last year I got a ton of Aji Limo so perhaps I should try crystal, mango or pineapple - any recommendations?

skullbiker said:
I am not sure what type of valve you previously used but I have used the following type for various water tanks and troughs and they worked well for me. The attachment brackets could be modified for different containers and liquid heights.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/little-giant-trough-o-matic-plastic-float-valve
Those work great! I have one for cattle, and I use one for the dogs. I just clamped it to an old pot....hey, they're dogs..

Edit: All caught up, great work Siv! The plants are fantastic. You have a beautiful home ;)
The shade cloth will certainly help, and I'm sitting on my hands as to how the in the sun grow does compared to those on the patio edge.

Keep it green!

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I think I'm lucky that I'm in a great climate for peppers and have the space to play.

I just delivered my last two extras to a friend so I'm all done for now. I was thinking of starting a couple of rocottos for the winter but I don't know where I'd put them.

I forgot all about the turbo pube that I brought inside. I gave him a fan so he's around 84F now. He just forked at the top so I'm guessing he's happy although the leave's don't look as perky. I've been looking all around the house for my second air pump and I just can't find it. I managed to find both boxes, so I know I definitely have two. I may just have to buy another... Anyway, I'm thinking he may like some bubbles. 
49993302716_dd389a9916_c.jpg

I try and ignore the ones in soil as much as possible as the hydro is enough work for lazy me. I'm limiting it to a nightly trip with my UV torch looking for bad guys. But I took a walk just now and spotted some nice developments.

LGS has set some gnarly pods, true to it's name:
49993302426_9fb682a1d7_c.jpg

The SRPs out here are just as early and productive as the ones in hydro - perhaps more so!
[
49993553252_e4976d4456_c.jpg

The Bahamian Goat has also got a few pods on the go. I'm happy I have several of these this year. I really like the flavour and last year I only had one which didn't survive the holiday mishap and to top of off, the fermentation mash I made with the peppers molded so I had to toss it. Not gonna make that mistake again this time!
49992781098_7269809db8_c.jpg

Here's the naturally shaded side - looking like a bit of a jungle since I added nine extra plants there:
49993301306_f4f3738ca6_c.jpg

And here's the shade cloth side:
49993552042_3696413271_c.jpg

The KSLSBs are at the top. I just got a message from a friend who I'd given 6 plants to and she said that all but the KSLSB are doing well. It's interesting, other than my KSLSB in hydro, I have three in soil and while they're looking fine, they're about half the height of the Bahamian Goats that they're next to. I'll be interested to see how they get on.

And finally, just in case anyone gets any ideas (Mr Joe), here are my backup fataliis!
49993552692_337d0d0712_c.jpg

I am needing to provide support for my hydro plant and was looking through your glog again and see you are using pvc along with a wire cage.  
49986468001_631ee8fa11_b.jpg
Are the pvc pipes just inserted through the lids with no support?  I'm looking for ideas as my Bhut Orange Copenhagen has gotten pretty big all of a sudden and I didnt plan for support.  

Thanks

Tybo said:
I am needing to provide support for my hydro plant and was looking through your glog again and see you are using pvc along with a wire cage.  
Are the pvc pipes just inserted through the lids with no support?  I'm looking for ideas as my Bhut Orange Copenhagen has gotten pretty big all of a sudden and I didnt plan for support.  

Thanks

Tybo, the pipes are zip-tied to the net pot sides. It's an idea I got from a Peter Stanley video. However they require work with you tying the stems to them or training the plant to stay within their confines. That was all too much work for me so I just replaced with wire mesh. I didn't remove the pipes since they were already there but I wouldn't bother with them if you're using the mesh. I think the wire mesh is best just make sure you get one with holes large enough for your hand. The rabbit fence is the best because it's gets progressively larger and is 4x4 for about half of it - I just wish it was a little taller than 28".

Edit: I found the video:
https://youtu.be/SnKriSBNFMY?t=128

Thanks Siv.  You saved me some time and money.  
I've got several different types of fence around here but not any rabbit fence.  I will just have to break out the wire cutters and do like you and your son did. Hopefully I won't shed too much blood!

Tybo said:
Thanks Siv.  You saved me some time and money.  
I've got several different types of fence around here but not any rabbit fence.  I will just have to break out the wire cutters and do like you and your son did. Hopefully I won't shed too much blood!

Here are some solutions to the scratching problem:

Wire.png

Well, I didnt make any access holes yet but I got the fence length cut to match the bucket circumference.  Getting the large plant in there was a trick.  I got the wife to help and we pretty much lowered the plant/lid into the "cage" from above and into the bucket so the branches wouldn't break then adjusted everything as best as we could.  Even with the snipping today I still have all my blood!
I need to wrap the pickle bucket in foil or paint it because it's translucent.  Might be an algae problem.

BOC.jpeg

Thanks for the idea.

Tybo said:
Well, I didnt make any access holes yet but I got the fence length cut to match the bucket circumference.  Getting the large plant in there was a trick.  I got the wife to help and we pretty much lowered the plant/lid into the "cage" from above and into the bucket so the branches wouldn't break then adjusted everything as best as we could.  Even with the snipping today I still have all my blood!
I need to wrap the pickle bucket in foil or paint it because it's translucent.  Might be an algae problem.

attachicon.gif
BOC.jpeg

Thanks for the idea.

So another learning experience I've had to retrofit the mesh to a plant that's already developed: measure and cut the fence to size and then wrap it around the bucket before connecting the ends to make the tube. I too tried the acrobatic method until I realised there had to be an easier way.

So remember that Turbo Pube I put under the avocado tree? Turns out that wasn't such a great idea. My avocado tree seems to set way more fruit than it knows what to do with then drops the excess. Looks like one landed smack on the turbo!

50003311808_24a95658bf_c.jpg

Siv said:
So remember that Turbo Pube I put under the avocado tree? Turns out that wasn't such a great idea. My avocado tree seems to set way more fruit than it knows what to do with then drops the excess. Looks like one landed smack on the turbo!

Topped by an avocado - that's a new one! 

That plant will bounce right back in no time...

Well turns out buying that UV flashlight was a good idea - found 4 hornworms just now on the soil plants. They seemed to only be on the largest plants. I checked the hydro and couldn't spot any. They were pretty big but not as large as I was finding them last year. Actually, last year I could only spot them if I saw significant defoliage or saw droppings around the plant. 

The only problem is the UV light is a bug magnet. I was surrounded by moths and all sorts of flying insects. My fault as I went outside in just shorts - next time, I'm wearing long pants, long sleeves and a hat!

Without the uv light you usually only find large worms. With the help of a uv light I have found worms that could hardly be I'd with the naked eye. I should get the light out when I get home, I haven't found one worm at all this year.

I think the avocado topped plant will recover fast.

Found two more horm worms today. Well actually, three - one was on the door going back into the house!

I've discovered that going out at dusk is the best time - it's dark enough for the UV light to do it's thing but not dark enough for all the insects to come see what's up.

So far, all the bastids have been on the baccatums. I seem to remember last year that they favoured the Aji Limo also. I wonder if they have a thing for baccatums or perhaps the moths are just picking the tallest plants?

I've been researching some companion plants that may be a deterrent. Everyone has a different idea - some say lemon grass, others basil and others thyme. Maybe I'll try planting all three among the peppers, with a bunch of chives to keep the aphids away...

Back