• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Size of Plants

I'm making plans on where to plant which varieties in my raised bed. I am just wondering the size variations of each variety and/or species, so I can wise decisions on which plants to put in front of others, lest some of my plants get shaded out by others. Basically what I'm asking, do plants vary in size by variety, or is it more just by species? I have several chinense plants, but also some annuums and baccatums. What can I expect for size variations between species and varieties?

Good to know. My plants will be in a raised bed, about 18 inches apart. Not ideal spacing, but I need to cram as much as I can in there. Any idea where I can find good information on what sizes to expect from each variety?

Going to need to look up each type of plant you're growing, most websites that sell seeds list the plants mature heights though that can all be subjective to your soil and watering conditions, topping ect. 

some chinese get big others don't , some baccatums grow really big and others stay tiny. it's going to differ to each individual plant 

NickP said:
Good to know. My plants will be in a raised bed, about 18 inches apart. Not ideal spacing, but I need to cram as much as I can in there.

You'll be fine, I planted 15 peppers in a 8 X 4 last year. They did great and only the tabasco plant really crowded anything, but that ended up more like a tree than a pepper plant.

X         X         X         X         X

X         X         X         X         X

X         X         X         X         X

This year I will likely put 13 in the same bed, only because I was very generous in giving away my extra plants this year.

X                   X                   X
          X                   X
X                   X                   X        
          X                   X  
X                   X                   X   

or.... 12

X                   X        
X                   X                   X
          X                   X        
X                   X                   X
          X                   X        

Back