• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Size of the pot?

SadisticPeppers

Business Member
Since I've got so many seedlings come up, I have a two part question here:

Firstly, what size pot is optimal to grow the plants to a sufficient flowering and fruiting size? I'm thinking 6" should be fine, but if a bigger or smaller size is best, let me know.

Secondly, when is a good time to actually transplant them. I've been told that once they get at least three sets of leaves going. Is that accurate?

Firstly, what size pot is optimal to grow the plants to a sufficient flowering and fruiting size? I'm thinking 6" should be fine, but if a bigger or smaller size is best, let me know.

Secondly, when is a good time to actually transplant them. I've been told that once they get at least three sets of leaves going. Is that accurate?

I would say to plant each in a 3 or 4 inch pot. Then once their roots overtake the pot and you can pick them out, loosen the roots or cut, then plant them in at least 1-2 gal. I think a 6" is a little too small but it can be done. If you are really good with fertilizing and understand plant nutrition you can grow huge plants in small pots provided you trellis them. Being you live in FL I would take advantage of your climate and go with 7 gal!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

I would say to plant each in a 3 or 4 inch pot. Then once their roots overtake the pot and you can pick them out, loosen the roots or cut, then plant them in at least 1-2 gal. I think a 6" is a little too small but it can be done. If you are really good with fertilizing and understand plant nutrition you can grow huge plants in small pots provided you trellis them. Being you live in FL I would take advantage of your climate and go with 7 gal!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:
I concur

I see. I guess I should have prefaced what I wrote by saying I do have a somewhat small apartment, and unless my finances change soon (ie. winning the lottery), I won't be moving out of it in the near future.

So then use 1-2 gal containers, it is what I use. If you only have a small area then 8 inch pots will work fine. Just be sure to water them more. Any time you have a big plant in a small pot you have to be on top of fertilizer applications.

OK, cool. Thanks for the info, guys :)

I wish I had a big yard to plant these guys once they're big enough. I'd like Kate Upton too, but it is an imperfect Universe... :)

all good suggestions...

my suggestions, answer is...

size of pot...there is no "optimum" size...the larger the pot, the larger the rootball, the larger the plant, the more nodes, the flowers, the more peppers....that's the way it works....It is a theorum that is almost exact in it's outcome...

transplant...three sets of leaves is good for the first transplant...my chinense get transplanted about 5-6 weeks days from seed

about room to grow...if there is a will, there is a way to grow large plants...especially if you like to share your pickings...

I most definitely do not, sir. There isn't even a ladder to go up there. If there is one, it's shockingly well hidden.

maybe think about doing a DWC setup, Hydroponics take up a lot less space and that is due to the fact that you are constantly supplying the roots with nutrients they need. That would be why if you use a small container you need to keep up on it, a small container for a big plant is almost like doing hydroponics because like they've stated above with that low amount of space, your plants are going to be depleting the soil quickly, once they get big. There are some really cheap DWC setups that you can make. You should look into it. DWC=Deep Water Culture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_water_culture

maybe think about doing a DWC setup, Hydroponics take up a lot less space and that is due to the fact that you are constantly supplying the roots with nutrients they need. That would be why if you use a small container you need to keep up on it, a small container for a big plant is almost like doing hydroponics because like they've stated above with that low amount of space, your plants are going to be depleting the soil quickly, once they get big. There are some really cheap DWC setups that you can make. You should look into it. DWC=Deep Water Culture http://en.wikipedia....p_water_culture

Agree 100%

I'll definitely look into it. Found an 8-pot setup for $269, which isn't too too bad. I'll probably get one setup to see how it works, with some of the rest in 6" pots...

For some reason discussing sized pots and grow medium is very intersting to me :halo: .

I think the best thing is what you want. If you want to use those 6" pots then I would suggest that over diving right into hydroponics.

I'll definitely look into it. Found an 8-pot setup for $269, which isn't too too bad. I'll probably get one setup to see how it works, with some of the rest in 6" pots...

You can buid 1 for cheaper than that!

Go check out the grow tech forum ;)

Back