• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SKULLBIKERS Fun with peppers in 2021 GLOG

And so it begins, another year of growing some peppers. This will be a sort of continuation of last year

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/73129-skullbikers-roaring-into-the-twenties-glog/page-1

as several of those plants are still going(and many got whacked and ended up on the burn pile). 

Anyway, I have 3 trays of peppers sown and many have germinated already(mostly annums). I wanted to compare several different jalapeños for taste in real time. This tray is all jalapeños, ten types from 7 different vendors. The seeds in block 3 are from 2014.

DD790B1D-46C2-42E6-821B-35E0A56AED83.jpeg

Another tray with annums at each end and mostly rocotos in the middle(and they're taking their sweet time).

DFD905E8-004B-41CA-9450-5D6CC853DA56.jpeg

Man, you got bugs I never even heard of.

Nice haul of sugar Rush. Have you grown
the cream variety? That was my favorite when
I grew out some SRs.

I've got bugs that I may not have even posted yet!
I haven't grown the Sugar Rush Cream yet. The PeppaPeach cross/mutation is super tasty when pickled.

Here are some I did in 2018. I froze the mash in silicone molds and then freeze dried it and vacuum sealed it in jars. Madbalz Brown on the left, Scorpion/Butch T blend in the middle, and Jonahs Yellow Brain/Yellow Bhut on the right. They're ready to use just as the original mash. If you only want to use some you can just vacuum seal the jar again.

I also have a bunch done in larger molds and sealed in mylar bags.

Wow, I've never seen that before! Why did you go share something else that I need to try sometime, as if the list isn't too long already :)

Those remind me of the "grandma's house" hard candies!

hard candy grandm's house.jpg

Wow, did everybody's GM have this candy, or is it a Mid-Atlantic (NJ) thing lol?

Now I'm going to have to try making some HOT hard candy. The Hot fudge is certainly tasty.

Mrs. DR made spicy peanut brittle a few years back. It was excellent. I can't recall ever making hard candy. That could be REALLY good.

It looks like it's just about time to pick some more Brainstrain pods. These things just keep producing wave after wave of pods. The temperature and weather here didn't seem to bother these plants much(other than the big one blowing over once). Each of the three plants have been attacked by hornworms but resumed growing after the removal of those.

85ACD441-A4C9-44FC-BDEF-2F72029F7CBF.jpeg

CBBBEB31-FBDE-41FE-9CD3-556EAEC13924.jpeg

Awesome tall timber Brainstrain, 'Biker.
I never had much success with the red variety,
but the YBS from @Pepper-Guru I grew previously
was really productive with great pods.

Those pods look great - little red golfballs.

I finally picked the Brainstrain pods yesterday as these are about the only plants producing much right now, a few jalapenos occasionally and maybe some sugar rush pods soon. Anyway I threw an empty basket on the scale to zero it and then the full one.

03DBC2D4-7047-4696-8E4D-4A7236E65408.jpeg

Looks like another load to go into the freezer. I bought an 8 cubic foot chest freezer last spring and it's full to the top with just peppers. It's just beginning the fall cool down now so soon I'll begin freeze drying them and then storage is easy.

There's a lovely haul Skull good job you bought that chest freezer and your out of room already..🙄I'd gladly pop around and make a little room for you to fit more in if I lived down the road.😂

Todays featured bug(in my garden) is the LEAFROLLER, and it does as the name suggests.

EE1CCAA5-A1AE-464C-9713-F6EECF947A5F.jpeg

Under each of those rolled over flaps is a moth larvae.

3457ACD8-6172-47BD-9BBC-DD4E8619C588.jpeg

And, first I've see since living here are snails. Here's one that was on my screen porch and I have seen a couple on the sides of my containers.

41D86871-5DD8-4E45-8DB7-3B206D19D87F.jpeg

5FE05288-8E37-49EE-B336-5B41ECB48EF8.jpeg

AE4C8E9E-DF64-4D1F-8B20-4F8FC10563C3.jpeg

Those things can be a real pain if they get hold and nature seems to be throwing the kitchen sink of pests at you this year S but nice to see your persisting and doing well.
Here we have a plague of ladybugs ??? Not complaining but late in the season.

Back