• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SKULLBIKERS Roaring Into The Twenties GLOG

I filled a couple of containers yesterday and prepared to pot up a couple more Rocotos.

F6CC2FDA-9B58-4FA4-A399-63DA6A5CA1F5.jpeg

And then today I got them into the containers and watered in. And as usual, I caged those animals so they go more up than out.

4BBB8A1B-B125-4316-8C48-04810059765C.jpeg

Now I have two left to pot up and the Rocotos will be done.........for now.

This morning I whacked the two Gelbe Riesen Giant Yellow Rocotos and gave them a taste test. With much sorrow I have to say I was quite UNIMPRESSED with these. My Montufars still need not have any worry about being unseated as the favorite. 

9E3EA128-D887-45AC-9961-BBABE080E5FA.jpeg

They have a very thick wall and are juicy with quite a small placenta. Anyway, I do not try to hide the fact that my taste buds are poor at best so it takes genuine flavor for me to pick up on it. Chewing on these I immediately got a good amount of juice that seemed just briefly sweet and then to a kind of bell pepper taste. Heat was as a mid to upper range Jalapeno. These are the first pods so there may be some change later in heat and flavor, we will see.

skullbiker said:
This morning I whacked the two Gelbe Riesen Giant Yellow Rocotos and gave them a taste test. With much sorrow I have to say I was quite UNIMPRESSED with these. My Montufars still need not have any worry about being unseated as the favorite. 

attachicon.gif
9E3EA128-D887-45AC-9961-BBABE080E5FA.jpeg

They have a very thick wall and are juicy with quite a small placenta. Anyway, I do not try to hide the fact that my taste buds are poor at best so it takes genuine flavor for me to pick up on it. Chewing on these I immediately got a good amount of juice that seemed just briefly sweet and then to a kind of bell pepper taste. Heat was as a mid to upper range Jalapeno. These are the first pods so there may be some change later in heat and flavor, we will see.
I'm wondering if the rains have affected the Gelbe Riesen peppers?

Devv said:
I'm wondering if the rains have affected the Gelbe Riesen peppers?
I guess it is a possibility but the Montufars taste as awesome swolen and cracked as they did before.
That being said, after all the hype last year about the Equidorian Sweet Rocoto it has missed the mark for me. I know that it’s only a name but I did not notice any special sweetness.
All I can say is do not grow Rocoto Montufars as they will spoil you and they set the bar too high for the other varieties!

skullbiker said:
I guess it is a possibility but the Montufars taste as awesome swolen and cracked as they did before.
That being said, after all the hype last year about the Equidorian Sweet Rocoto it has missed the mark for me. I know that it’s only a name but I did not notice any special sweetness.
All I can say is do not grow Rocoto Montufars as they will spoil you and they set the bar too high for the other varieties!

So when will you start selling Montufar seeds? :lol:

Arrrrrgggggg.................Those Montufars just will not give me any rest! They keep coming and coming.
This afternoon. I actually processed these immediately and made some of my signature relish using these instead of Cherry Bombs or Jalapenos. 

30A80913-98A7-4910-AF35-E8DC4849E1D1.jpeg

Also, my first Monzano Giant Red Rocoto since moving here.

A4574397-E17F-4632-9762-D030D9669BE4.jpeg

A couple of rocoto plant/pod views.

A1DFB9BF-0E56-49D6-9603-C4B44CAB7281.jpeg

CF1A964B-3141-4917-8EE3-428003C6CF83.jpeg

There are quite a few of these Monzano Giant Red Rocotos.

6B2B350E-4B3B-4DF5-B727-A373FE55765C.jpeg

And an Orange Giant Rocoto plant.

A7EBAC4A-E538-41F8-85EC-79A9FFD71C67.jpeg

Inoks said:
What kinda of relish? I plan making this from the few ripe ones I have https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/sauces/hot-pepper-relish/

Only not even close that much.

My kinda relish is the easy/simple kind. 1:1 ratio of sweetener(I have used white sugar, Turbinado, or Splenda) to Apple Cider Vinegar. Heat enough to dissolve sweetener. 
2:1 ratio of peppers of choice to onion.
Approximately 1 teaspoon celery seed per quart of finely chopped peppers/onions.

Put the peppers, onions, & celery seed into the sweetened vinegar and mix it up good.
Put it in a jar and into the refrigerator for at least three days(it gets better as it ages). 

Been pulling weeds in my containers the last 2 days, seems like they just blew up after the big rains.
Took Pics of a couple Equidorian Sweet Rocoto plants.

131D35AE-3242-4859-B933-58744DED3834.jpeg

D9EDBAC6-5C14-47FB-BD2B-7859678C88D0.jpeg

No Rocoto Montufars today but I did pick these as I was pulling those weeds.
Clockwise: Pepperoncini Sweet, (1)Devils Brain & (2)Bhut Jalokia Indian Carbon, Cherry Bombs of various phenos, EQUIDORIAN SWEET ROCOTOS

95CA52FE-A15B-45DC-94AB-9CC86F5530F0.jpeg

I have a bunch of plants in between my garage and a shed, kind of out of sight—out of mind. Here is what happened when I kind of forgot about them.

8BE15305-EBDF-4A4B-9338-0A9906A7873E.jpeg

Two hours later.

4F289361-ED88-47F7-A644-4BB079D2D91B.jpeg

PtMD989 said:
They came back really good [emoji106][emoji16]. Does your maters crack from all the rain?

I generally never let my stuff get dry and especially not parched, so time to play the I FORGOT old man card!
The tomatoes pretty well split wide open within about 1 day of the big rain. Up north they would sometimes heal up but here with tomatoes or peppers as soon as there is broken skin on the fruit the gnats glom onto it and a tomato will look black from a distance!

Back