• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Slaters, good or bad??

Hi

I have some jalapenos that I decided to move since they'd turned pretty much yellow. They were in terracotta pots sitting in direct sun and I think they were probably too hot as this is only location where the yellowing was happening.

Anyway I went to replant them in the ground in a more shady area and when I pulled the plant out of the pot, literally half of the potting mix/rootball was full of slaters! There were some big ones and also heaps of little tiny baby ones. I cut off that part of the potting mix/rootball and replanted in the ground. It seemed that there were less roots than I'd expected to be in the rootball given how long it had been since I last replanted them too but I can't say for sure that it was abnormal.

Do slaters eat roots? Are they a pest or do they do good things to the soil/potting mix? There were HEAPS and I have seen a few around my other plants too so not sure if I need to repot them all and make sure there are no other families hiding in there! :shocked: Another plant was also yellow which had no slaters so I don't think they were responsible for the yellowing but I'm not too sure. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

How big are the plants/pots?

I don't know much about slaters, but I've been surprised many times how fragile and modest the root systems are on some of my younger plants.

For me, it seems I usually need to get them 12"-18" before the root system starts to develop significantly, and the size of the container becomes an issue.

Roly Poly!... I saw slaters and was like "WTF is a slater." I thought they were pill bugs. Learn something new every day.

Roly Poly!... I saw slaters and was like "WTF is a slater." I thought they were pill bugs. Learn something new every day.

i copy from catherinew's link above

"Slaters, also known as woodlice, sowbugs or pill bugs, generally ignore green plants, preferring decayed damp material."

Back