• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Slowly building heat

What peppers would you all recommend for a slow, building sort of heat? I've had a few punch me in the face right out of the gate, but I really do love a delayed, encompassing burn.

not goatsweed or tepin - that's like having acid thrown in your mouth, i found bishop crown and bulgarian carrot had that building heat thing but i am guessing you are refering to the super hotties - that i can't help you with until Sept.

Most chinenses do that for me. But you also have to take into account the your own tolerance for heat. Find something you can take in the amounts you want.

Most chinenses do that for me. But you also have to take into account the your own tolerance for heat. Find something you can take in the amounts you want.

Darn correct. Annum builds quick if not instant, and that's if you can't handle them. Chinense build slow, and I do love it how they do that! :)

+1 on the c. pubescens as Zanderspice recommending
some time you should find out about trying the "creeper"
whole mouth and most of your face covering warmth :woohoo:
aka perón ( i like the orange ones best so far) perón dorado

Hahaha, I was thinking something totally different when I saw "slowly building heat" I was thinking of how my other half can now eat habaneros and not even know it when she claims black pepper is too hot for her.

Adding to the vote for most in the C. chineses family. They seem to start slow and keep on going, rather than the instant kick then disappear that the Annum shows.

That's why I try top mix families when I make a hot sauce, get some instant kick to give the rest time to get going. :)

Adding to the vote for most in the C. chineses family. They seem to start slow and keep on going, rather than the instant kick then disappear that the Annum shows.

That's why I try top mix families when I make a hot sauce, get some instant kick to give the rest time to get going. :)

I would rather this in a hot sauce actually. On a tongue/mouth with no chilli, the initial mouthful of chilli is the hardest for me. Once that's through it's like eating a sandwich, I can just keep on going :)

Real Scotch Bonnets would do it for me. It's been so long since I've had one but the unique flavor pulls you in deep, then 5 or so minutes into it, you realize there's a kick to it. Never overwhelming though...at least not for me, but your newbies will cry fowl 2 or so minutes into a meal....yet still continue eating.... Thats when you know you've got em hooked. lol!

Back