• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Slugs, worms, beetles... oh my

So, I'm hoping someone can confirm or deny a theory for me. I have a few species of cayenne in one of my raised beds and fruit are just starting to ripen. On one - just one - of the plants, the first 4 fruits have developed big holes in them with dark edges. I pulled a few and snapped pictures that I've included below. 

Upon closer inspection, the actual seeds that were exposed had holes in them too and were dried out, but seeds further down the pods that were not exposed were normal. 

My first thought is slugs though I haven't seen any and it's gotten pretty hot here in GA. Also struggling with some leaf curlers on my pole beans and tomato worms in another bed, so maybe a caterpillar? For the past five years I've grown them I haven't seen anything eat my chilies quite like this. Anyone know what this is, and/or how to stop it?

Thanks!

IMG_1091.JPG

IMG_1092.JPG

Almost looks like something took a bite, which allowed rot to set in. Maybe a rodent? I found a pepper today with a hole bored into it, and there was some black rotten areas inside, but no insects I could see.

Wow! Something is taking some great, big bites out of your Cayennes!

If you get a chance, go out at night with a flashlight (a UV flashlight if you have one), and look for caterpillars or some other bug crawling around at night.

Some bugs only come out at night.

Thanks for the replies!

I will check at night, and we do have little furry critters running around.

The thing that really gets me is that the seeds had little holes in them too, which I can't imagine a mouse/chipmonk/squirrel being able to do, but I've been surprised by the little buggers in the past.

If it was a squirrel or a rat, you probably won't be seeing that critter coming around any more after taking a bite outta that Cayenne.  :D

Back