Small Peppers??

Hello All,

I have been loving the pod production on all of my plants lately (even my thai chilli that i mentioned in an earlier post dropping all its leaves came back stronger then ever)  My question is geared more towards my Jalapenos and banana peppers.

Both plants are in pots (10 gallon so plenty big) and have loads of pods but the peppers are staying small, the banana are actually begging to change color form yellow to orange but are only about 3 inches long, and the jalapenos are the same but about an inch long.

I have the same issue last season with the banana peppers can anyone shed some light as to why they wont grow to be their typical 5-7 inches long??

Thanks,

-Steve

It could be any number of factors, but my experience is if you have a lot of pods on your plant, it can cause all of the pods to be smaller.

There is so many factors to consider. Low temps, high temps, to much or not enough water, fertilizer, Ph, sunlight, the particular cultivar itself, I could go on forever.

I noticed your in London, lower temps at night may be effecting size on the pods. I would think being that far north would make it tough to get optimum sunlight.

David nailed it. Any of those factors could influence the plant to ripen prematurely, but temperature would be my first guess. Something is triggering the plant into "behaving" as if it is toward the end of its season. Are other folks in your area experiencing the same? Talk to your local pepper farmers to determine if it is climate/weather related or if it is something that you are doing.

Back