• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Small problem w/pepper plants

i have several pepper plants that were very lush and bushy now beginning to lose lower leaves after they turn yellow. is this normal? pepper production does not seem to be low, but foliage is getting sparse on a couple. any info would be appreciated. (i would post pics but have been unable to do so in several attempts)

the lower foliage getting yellow before falls off sounds normal enough
what is the age of the ones doing it?

good growing :woohoo: :dance:

Pics would be very helpful!!
It's normal for them to lose some leaves.
How long does this condition last before they fall off?
Do the rest of the leaves look normal?

Some lower leaf foilage loss is normal, but if foilage is getting 'sparse' then that may not be normal. Are new leaves coming in and are they coming in green?

You could have a nitrogen problem or maybe a drainage problem. There's a variety of things, really.

I wouldn't worry about it. I have three Bhut Jolokias all together in my garden. Two are shorter and bushy from the ground up. One is taller but is almost bare on the first 7 or 8" of the stem. It has plenty of plush leaves on the upper part which branches out and coincidentally is producing more and bigger pods up to this point than the other two plants are producing.

The middle plant is my best producer to date...believe it or not.

20110612GhostPeppers.jpg

Here is my biggest Pepper so far and it is from the center plant:

20110614GhostPepper2.jpg

i have several pepper plants that were very lush and bushy now beginning to lose lower leaves after they turn yellow. is this normal? pepper production does not seem to be low, but foliage is getting sparse on a couple. any info would be appreciated. (i would post pics but have been unable to do so in several attempts)

Perfect timing! I was about to ask the same question myself.

Good to know that it appears not to be a serious problem.
Still it would be great to know if it can be stopped.

Bleash

almost all of the plants affected have lush top foliage, so it seems this is normal. they are producing peppers well and sprouting blossoms abundantly. i will just monitor and adjust, but it is probably normal as most of you said.

Back