• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Smart Pot Grow...

Smart pots, anyone ever use them? I stopped at the hydro store and they has some in stock. I hate to buy something then have to wait... so I grabbed 2 1 gallon, and a 2 gallon to try it out. I have a few Chocolate Habs i have sprouted to try my hand at overwintering, so I am going to put one in a regular black 1 gallon nursery pot, and one in the smart pot. I like the theory of better root structure, and there suppose to stay cooler, we'll see. The only draw back is the amount of water needed, not a big deal til I go to the condo for a few days... might have to set them in a shallow saucer. Well I am going to go plant them up now, report back later...

CIMG0003.jpg

I'll try and keep up a weekly update. Same seed same soil, and same place in the yard.

Smart Pots are nice. If you go any bigger than a #2 they make them with handles, makes for a lot easier moving. I plan on using #5 and #10's for isolation next year. I figure that if I spread my seed plants to the farthermost corners of our lot (50ish acres) I should be okay.

I jsut emailed me and they sending me some 2-3 gallons samples to my hydro store in orlando, I should be getting them next friday or so. :) Told them i wanted to try it out, but i have a few bigger ones laying around i havent used yet.

Big, thats what I'm hoping on the not stayin water logged. Here in Orlando, it rains like clock work around 3 every day. I have had a poor season with bacterial leaf spot. I also wanna overwinter some for next year.

I also bought some 10 gallon smart pots. I like the idea of keep the root zone temperature cool. Was wondering what type of soil mix would be effective? Will definitely follow this topic closely.

Good luck

Mark T

Watering trays work well. They keep soil moisture consistent. Even if it rains the plants won't get over watered.

Yep. And you can just shade the outside of the air pots. Let weeds grow up around them, make a planter box to set them in, etc etc, keeping them shaded helps a lot with water retention, but the real secret is the soil mix and ratios. You want enough aerator to keep the oxygen exchange up at the root zone, but not so much that your constantly watering.

What are the pots that have the points or cones coming out of them? I noticed one on display at the hydro store a while back, but didn't have time to investigate. I think the roots grow outward and hit the air and grow back inward or something. I think I'm going to test one of those next season. However my best results still come from a handmade earthbox since the earthboxes are so small.

What are the pots that have the points or cones coming out of them? I noticed one on display at the hydro store a while back, but didn't have time to investigate. I think the roots grow outward and hit the air and grow back inward or something. I think I'm going to test one of those next season. However my best results still come from a handmade earthbox since the earthboxes are so small.

I know what you are talking about and even watched a video on how it works but can not think of the name at all. I think it's whole purpose is to introduce oxygen into the soil and air prune the roots. After the video I looked online for a few minutes to check out prices and too try one out next season but not exactly sure what happened with that idea haha.

-J

Those are the ones I wanted to try, but smart pots is all they had. For 3.50 apiece, not to expensive to try. i emailed the other pot maker, the plastic one, 8.59 for a 3 liter, have to buy 25 bucks worth, so 3@8.50 plus shipping = 38 bucks, don't get it I think there in S. Fl, and I'm in Orlando.

Those are the ones I wanted to try, but smart pots is all they had. For 3.50 apiece, not to expensive to try. i emailed the other pot maker, the plastic one, 8.59 for a 3 liter, have to buy 25 bucks worth, so 3@8.50 plus shipping = 38 bucks, don't get it I think there in S. Fl, and I'm in Orlando.

Maybe there's a landscape supply in O-town that carries them?

Haven't found one, but a few miles from here is the fernery capitol, they have a lot of wholesale suppliers in apopka. i know I am going to drag the trailer up to Fl potting soils, and get a couple yards... they have all kind of blends. I would bet someone has um, or at least a knock off one. There are some serious supply houses up there. If I find anything out, I will post it here...

Well 48 hours later, and I am liking them so far. I have a nice mix I like, but in small pots it stays too wet since we get rain just about everyday here. The plastic one is soggy, but the smart pot, is damp but not wet, so thats a good start at least.

Back