• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Smell?

I have about 6-7 plants that I am starting inside and am likely going to bring outside. Onto my question how much do the plants start to smell when they get bigger?

Your plants generally shouldn't smell at all, unless there is a problem that needs to be addressed. However, what you may smell is the soil and/or fertilizer. The smell of those will depend upon what you select to use. Fish ferts, for example, are clearly going to have a fishy smell. Still, your soil and ferts shouldn't smell any different as the plant gets older than they did when they started out, so similarly, if you start smelling anything funky, get it checked for a problem.

Your plants generally shouldn't smell at all, unless there is a problem that needs to be addressed. However, what you may smell is the soil and/or fertilizer. The smell of those will depend upon what you select to use. Fish ferts, for example, are clearly going to have a fishy smell. Still, your soil and ferts shouldn't smell any different as the plant gets older than they did when they started out, so similarly, if you start smelling anything funky, get it checked for a problem.
ok thanks

actually, depending on the type of pepper, you may experience a peppery/hab fragrance if you shake or touch the leaves, much like the effect of a tomato plant releasing its oils when the leaves are touch.

i man handle my red rocoto daily, more so now that i discovered this wonderful secret and an area of about 2 feet from the plant is aromatized.

i don't get the same heaviness or the fragrance from the trinidads or bhuts, though there is a mild, not lasting, greenish scent(perhaps a green, leafy scent is a better phrase).

you should have nothing to worry about, i recommend everyone with a rocoto/manzano give it a whirl.

Stay away from fish fertilizer if you are indoors, wait till your outside or use it sparingly. That stuff can clear a room.

I guess it's just me, but I have noticed that after a good rain they secrete some sort of plant oil. It has a heavenly smell and burns your skin upon contact.

Smell depends on your type of "plants". Chile peppers don't give off much if any smell. Other plants may vary.

Back