• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Smithsonian article on the Bhut Jolokia

Good article :)

Definitely an interesting read.  He brings up a good point about certain climates/environments might lend themselves to one pepper, but handicap another....

Nice! "Some have explained the chili peppers popularity by way of the risk-taking personality: superhots as the edible version of sky diving."

Nice one enjoyed it a lot,,he keeps saying nagajolokia, but in nagaland they have Naga Morich from what I gather all Asian superhots by most people are classified as Nagas but from what I see in my garden the bhuts and nagas even grow diffrently to me different chilis, still enjoyed it tho,,

pepperhog said:
Nice one enjoyed it a lot,,he keeps saying nagajolokia, but in nagaland they have Naga Morich from what I gather all Asian superhots by most people are classified as Nagas but from what I see in my garden the bhuts and nagas even grow diffrently to me different chilis, still enjoyed it tho,,

Yeah, I'm less clear now on the distinction between nagas and bhuts than I once was.

Interesting article.  I see the winner of the Nagaland Chili Eating Competition received $600 and an ambulance ride!

Too awesome. The eating phase is only 20 seconds, all they are getting is that first hit. They all have to know that the real contest starts after the time runs out.

My favorite bit in the whole thing is the quote from the winner about how he was feeling:

"Very no." 

Yeah. I get Smithsonian at home (one of the few physical mags I get - they are an *incredible* organization). I loved this article, too. I enjoyed the author's humor about the whole thing, but simultaneous appreciation of the flavors.

I too found a favorite in the "interview" with the "winner" paragraph.

"...a chat with the winner seems to be in order. He's now lying against a wall in the fetal position, his head supported by the caved-in cardboard box."

lol.

Back