• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Smoke Plants to Flower Faster

So while BBQing this past Saturday, I put my plants in the way of the exhaust smoke of my grill, and today I noticed that the plants without flowers started budding.

I'm not sure if this is a coincidence, but I just wanted to share this with you guys since I've read about it before.

I would think that it's coincidence......but you never know. I know the left over ashes from grilling is used as a fert. sometimes.

Well, I'll let you know if it works for me or not. Yesterday afternoon I had the smoker going and due to how the wind was blowing, or lack of it blowing my garden area was under a heavy cloud of delicious apple wood smokage. My BMJ's, Yellow 7's and Trini perfumes didn't have a single bud on them saturday or sunday. If they put out any buds in the next few days I'll let you all know. As of right now, they just look like hammered shit from all the heat we've had, and a horrible potting mix from the local nursery that I don't think they let compost long enough.

Hmmm... We filipinos like to smoke our fruiting trees to male the trees flower (mangoes).

Dunno if it works the same with peppers.

Smoke contains CO2 and particulate carbon, both of which plants need to build new cells/tissue.

One of the reason forests thrive is forest fires. Fire renews the carbon in the soil.

There's one plant I wouldn't mind smoking right now, but it's not peppers, and it's not exactly the kind of smoking you're talking about...

But anyway, I kind of doubt a little bit of smoke from a grill would have that much of an effect to cause plants to start budding all on its own. The plant was probably just about ready to produce buds.

I didn't know that, but I smoked a few racks of ribs and a brisket yesterday almost 10 hours. The patio where I keep my plants is the same place I keep the smoker so most of them got a good amount of nice apple, hickory, and mesquite smoke. I know the smoke doesn't hurt the plants, but I thought it was good to keep pest away and hurt any aphids that may be on the plants.

In my case it was a whole bunch of smoke, and it stayed trapped in that corner of my yard for a good while. You couldn't see across my garden through it.
So, what has it done for my peppers so far? Nothing.

Back