• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Smoke Somethin

Got this char-griller premium kettle for my birthday, it says its a smoker too.

So after a little research and about 40 bucks for charcoal baskets and a pizza stone I'm gonna give it a shot.

Here's the kettle

20190312_183105.jpg

Charcoal baskets

20190315_091049.jpg

Modified grate out of my old grill, had to cut the sides off, and hit it with a hammer a couple times so it would get past these bolts.

20190315_095524.jpg

Pizza Stone(heat diffuser)

20190315_091703.jpg

Water/drip pan

20190315_091914.jpg

Forgot to add the apple wood, it wasn't that bad to open everything back up. Glad I took out some of the center of the old grate.

20190315_103011.jpg

Iron mikes mustard Bbq for a binder and Montreal steak, some minced onions, salt and pepper on the rub.

20190315_103136.jpg

20190315_102248.jpg

Questions, comments, and suggestions all welcome. This will be my smoking/grilling thread.

Bout to slap the meat on now!

20190315_110609.jpg

I have just been using the Smokey mountain to smoke, I do want to try the snake method at some point though. I have been cooking indirect on this black kettle for steaks and burgers. I let them go for a while on the indirect side, then switch them over to above the coals to get a good sear. I've made a lot better steaks than when I used to just cook on an open pit, its noce to be able to control the fire.

Have you done the snake method? It seems to work really well, and looks to be pretty much set it and forget it.

Walchit said:
I have just been using the Smokey mountain to smoke, I do want to try the snake method at some point though. I have been cooking indirect on this black kettle for steaks and burgers. I let them go for a while on the indirect side, then switch them over to above the coals to get a good sear. I've made a lot better steaks than when I used to just cook on an open pit, its noce to be able to control the fire.

Have you done the snake method? It seems to work really well, and looks to be pretty much set it and forget it.
Firstly Weber Kettles very popular here in the UK in all their colours glad you like my “Spring Green” I also have a “Slate Grey” Smokey Joe Weber

The snake method is perfect for smoking however there is always a great discussion on what charcoal briquettes one uses. I personally find “Heat Beads” which I think are an Australian variety and Weber’s own give me the most heat and the briquettes are uniform in shape. Running the long ring around three times (two bottom one top) with wood chunks evenly spread out. Chimney starter for those first coals to get started and as long as you can refrain from peeking too much you get 8-12hrs

I read a lot smoke with mesquite wood but I thought it was very over powering much prefer the fruit woods but I am not a true smoker always willing to learn

I fired up the Weber last night for Halloween [emoji316] grandchildren loved it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trident chilli said:
Firstly Weber Kettles very popular here in the UK in all their colours glad you like my Spring Green I also have a Slate Grey Smokey Joe Weber

The snake method is perfect for smoking however there is always a great discussion on what charcoal briquettes one uses. I personally find Heat Beads which I think are an Australian variety and Webers own give me the most heat and the briquettes are uniform in shape. Running the long ring around three times (two bottom one top) with wood chunks evenly spread out. Chimney starter for those first coals to get started and as long as you can refrain from peeking too much you get 8-12hrs

I read a lot smoke with mesquite wood but I thought it was very over powering much prefer the fruit woods but I am not a true smoker always willing to learn

I fired up the Weber last night for Halloween [emoji316] grandchildren loved it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I dont really like hickory or mesquite that much either, I have been using cherry or apple. I need to trim up my peach tree in the back yard and try some of that. I also have a few giant pecan trees behind the house.

Slate grey seems like a pretty cool color in the pictures. Are you a member on the Weber Kettle Club?

I grabbed a Crate & Barrel edition performer, I think they call it "grass green" Idk
I want to put it in my older performer frame though. Idk if I already posted this pic.

20190919_172705.jpg

I ate about 20 of them lol. @Trident, I just used cream cheese on these, not sure if you guys call it the same thing over there, actually I jist googled it, and it seems you may not have the beat access to "Philadelphia" style cream cheese. Here's what I was reading...

https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/93788/is-it-possible-to-get-american-style-cream-cheese-in-the-uk

There is a link on there to make your own. It was saying that UK has more fat in the cheese and its a little different, Idk for sure though. I used the house brand sold at Kroger, cant tell the difference between it and the Philadelphia brand.
I am interested in what the cream cheese you have available is like.

The red is a mix of Sri Lanka chili red, dedo de moca, a few sweet peppers, and the pods that I harvested seeds from(pdnxbmj,primo,bhutstrain,yellow jalapeno cross) the green one is jalapeno and unripe Sri lanka chili red. I still have about a million pods to process, those Sri Lanka's take a long time to wash and bust open to check for mold.

20191104_072620.jpg

20191104_075812.jpg

20191104_082616.jpg

Bout to fire up a couple smokers and do some superhot blends today. Wish me luck

Back