• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Smoked flavor in powders

We finally had the powder tasting event at work so that each of us could objectively determine what we liked best.  We used red beans and rice as a neutral vehicle to sample all of our powers.  They include:

Joyner's:
Smokin Banshee
Chocolate Lava
Smoked Habanero
7 Pot Jonah
Smoked Fire

Volcanic Peppers:
Chocolate Habanero
Bhut Jolokia
Blends # 1 & 2

Homemade:
Smoked Habanero
Smoked Habanero + Bhut mix
Smoked Pequin 

There were no clear winners, but people generally like Joyner's Smokin Banshee, Volcanic Peppers Chocolate Habanero, and the homemade Smoked Habanero more than I heard comments about the others.  

We had a great time and will do this kind of thing again soon.  It was wise to do this on a Friday, because two people were likely not fit for work the next day.

photo+3.JPG

Thanks for the advice on this subject.  This was a great way to get us pumped for the 2014 harvests.

cold smoke (under 100f) it for a few hours then dehydrate, thats what i did with mine and it had a decent smokey flavor. 
roll what in the yard thp? the pod or the smoker lol 

Here's my first attempt at smoking anything. I used my weber kettle grill with applewood chips.

I had been feeling guilty for taking up 98% of the freezer space with my pods, so I smoked two batches of these frozen Yellow nagas. The first was running hotter than I wanted, so I only kept them on for 45 minutes. It was pegging my meat thermometer which reads up to 220 deg F. The second batch was a little cooler, around 200 deg F,  so kept it going for a little over an hour.

rIL0Eacl.jpg

nw4Frp4l.jpg

This is how they all looked afterward. Had enough to fill all four trays in my dehydrator.

Wussp5ll.jpg

BJvFPatl.jpg

I'm going to powder these after they're dry.

Back