• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Smoked flavor in powders

I hear ya but I consider rubs, seasonings, and powders different. Pepper powder is just peppers. I like rubs too, of course.

I ordered 5 samples from Chris @ Joyners to try a few out.   I appreciate the advice and I'm excited to give these a try.

Between the two friends at work and I, we'll have something like 12 or more powders to sample at a taste testing party that range from several distributors to home-made and most of them have been smoked.  If there's something particularly well liked, I'll post it here.  We'll use some sort of universal vehicle like black beans and rice to give them all a fair shot.

The thing we've been liking about these powers is the application flexibility, shelf life, and independence from otherwise mandatory hot-sauce ingredients.  Being able to get them smoked clinches the deal.

Exactly. That's why I like powders too. Sometimes you don't want to put vinegar, carrots, and papaya on your meal. Peppers and heat! Smoke is a bonus (for meals that fit).

Try some Jamaican Hot Chocolate powder. It's one of the best I've ever tasted! It has a smoky quality without being smoked. It's just the dried pepper. F*****g awesome flavor.

I got called away late last summer for longer than expected and had quite a few plants who's peppers ripened far more than I'd have allowed had I been home to pick em.  The hungarian paprikas and the traveler jalapenos were so ripe some of em fell off the plant.  The peppers were consistently thin walled and damn near sun dried.  When green both these peppers are 1/8" - 1/4" (maybe 3/16) thick walled, so it all makes sense now.  Thanks for doing the legwork finding out THP.  :)

By the way the peppers from those plants were picked en mass and dehydrated.  The powders I subsequently made with them were very well liked.  This year I'll be smoking some of those pods too after tasting some smoked powder I got in trade on here! 

Yuppers. When I had it, I was amazed.

Gotrox said:
Still experimenting.
I am an admitted smoked pepper salt addict---it goes on (almost) everything.

Last years batch got 2 pans of chips in a little chief, then into the dehydrator.

This spring got a baggie each of frozen Reapers, Brains, and TSMB in the smoker with 3 pans hickory and stayed there till crispy.

Haven't made the salt yet.
I use a Big Chief for salmon all the time. Do you think 1 pan of hickory would work ? I don't like a heavy smoke flavor. I picked up some smoked paprika that it really overpowering so I do not use it . 

The Hot Pepper said:
Exactly. That's why I like powders too. Sometimes you don't want to put vinegar, carrots, and papaya on your meal. Peppers and heat! Smoke is a bonus (for meals that fit).

Try some Jamaican Hot Chocolate powder. It's one of the best I've ever tasted! It has a smoky quality without being smoked. It's just the dried pepper. F*****g awesome flavor.
Where can I get some of the Jamaican powder ?

muskymojo said:

I've never noticed a ripe jalapeno to have less moisture than a green one. They are both thick walled and juicy as far as hot peppers go. I do love me some chipotles in adobo sauce though.

I could eat (and have eaten) chipotle in adobo straight out of the can, they are delicious!

THP, I will have to get some JHC seeds, I'm sold!

SavinaRed said:
Where can I get some of the Jamaican powder ?
I sure wish I could share but the greedy part of me won't let me :shame: . (also filled a large order for a rub I make locally) :woohoo:
Glad you were able to find some JHC, hope you enjoy them !!

hint-
just because I'm inherently lazy and want to get the most done in one run as possible.......I've had good luck doing this----

-use foil roasting pans (whatever size will fit into your smoker [8x10 foil cake pans or larger 12x15 foil roasting pans] and about 2" deep)
-poke a ton of holes into the foil pan from the outside in, get all up on the side walls also, mine were about 1-2" o.c.
-light smoke at low temp

I was roasting thin-walled habaneros.  The perforated pans worked well to allow the smoke to permeate all the chiles.  I used a clean large blade straight slot screwdriver and gave it a twisp after stabbing to make the holes.  I was also able to wash and re-use these pans a couple times. 

I did a pretty light smoke with pear wood for maybe an hour or two, I think I got about 10 pounds of chiles in one 3-pan batch on 3 shelves in the electric smoker.  Rotate the trays on the shelves as needed, my smoker tends to run hot on the lower shelf.  After the chiles were smoked, they were still soft and not at all dried.  I ground up the soft chiles in a food processor and froze the pulp.  The smoked chiles would also work very well in a low temp dehydrator.

Have Fun!!!

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about smoking some supers with a smoke box on the grill before dehydrating them, but was worried it took 16 hours or something.

Back