• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Smoked Pods for Mash?

Just wondering here..... since smoking has been used to preserve meats and fish and inhibit bacterial growth, I'm assuming that using smoked pods as a base for a mash would inhibit bacterial activity in the fermentation process?

Just wondering here..... since smoking has been used to preserve meats and fish and inhibit bacterial growth, I'm assuming that using smoked pods as a base for a mash would inhibit bacterial activity in the fermentation process?
True. It probably depends on how intense the smoke was and for how long. I think it would still work though. Now if you quickly roasted them on an open flame grill or something that would work. Good idea. Smokey mash...mmmm

Imagining AND drooling :drooling: Guess there's one sure way to find out, let ya know in a hundred days! Of course, I've never made a mash before, so I won't know for certain... Maybe one batch of smoked, one batch of unsmoked, and see what happens.... :pray:

OK, used 38 orange habs (from the store, not gonna burn up my valuable harvest for an experiment), pecan-smoked them for 2 hours, chopped them up with my Ninja, and put them in a jar in the fridge, waiting for my starter to finish so I can get the mash started. The smoked habs smelled almost exactly like a SlimJim, hoping the sauce ends up better than 7-11 drunksnacks.....

Interesting, never tried thus either though I did add some liquid smoke to a sauce after the mash was complete and let it age a bit. Turned out ok but not " OMG you've got to try this!"

liquid smoke is not good @ all, it is ahideous flavor that no matter how hard u try u cannot cover up, and Ive seen tons of people try in the last 22 yrs working in kitchens! If u want a smokey sauce, smoke your own or if u can not, buy some chipoltes and add those, otherwise, u might as well just piss in it, cuz uve pretty much ruined what could be in the top 10 best things in life( a reaaly good homemade hot sauce) :tear:

Liquid smoke is nasty. Concentrated smoke condensate full of creosote. Nothing to do with smoking. Never understood liquid smoke in sauces, especially BBQ sauces! Smoke some of the ingredients and add those, then you get the smoke flavor plus the rich flavor of what was smoked. Smoke the onions or garlic, smoke the peppers, smoke the tomatoes. Makes a fantastic sauce!

I smoked some peppers that I picked up at an international grocery store this past weekend. I put them on my electric smoker with no water pan and used 2 hickory chunks for about an hour. I don't know what kind of peppers they are. They don't taste all that great fresh. Big, long and crooked (that's what she said :lol: ) I also added a few red habs on the smoker to make a hot version. Both came out really good and I believe I will do this whenever I want to have a smokey flavor to my sauces from now on.

Interested to hear the results of those who try smoking before the mash.

Another option would be to smoke the sauce itself before bottling... I've done this with a dish I make called Carne Adobada to get the smokey flavor without changing the cooking method of the meat that seems to work so well already. Just put the sauce in a big pot inside your smoker for 1/2 hr or to taste according to how smokey you want it, maybe stir occasionally, the whole batch will be infused.

Interested to hear the results of those who try smoking before the mash.

Another option would be to smoke the sauce itself before bottling... I've done this with a dish I make called Carne Adobada to get the smokey flavor without changing the cooking method of the meat that seems to work so well already. Just put the sauce in a big pot inside your smoker for 1/2 hr or to taste according to how smokey you want it, maybe stir occasionally, the whole batch will be infused.
Some of the local BBQ restaurants around here do that with with their sauces. I find that a "tad" of liquid smoke will
add some flavor without giving that meat market overbearing liquid smoke flavor! Also a very popular local sausage
maker uses steam infused with liquid smoke to smoke/cook their sausages.

OK, the results are in. The smokey flavor mellowed quite a bit, still definitely detectable, almost the "signature" of the sauce, but far from overpowering. I agree, liquid-smoke is ghetto as hell, on par with powdered milk.... IT JUST AIN'T RIGHT....
When I first started the mash, I used a "hooch" starter made from self-rising flour nd water, let it settle, dump out half and refeed, blahblahblah.... The activity was ok, just seemed kinda lethargic to me. So a trip to the local homebrew shop for some airlocks and a carboy to transfer the mash into, I had a great conversation with their brew veteran, and settled on a particular type of yeast that was really odd to me, but he threw the packet in the bag anyway, and off I went. The fermentation kicked off with a drastic increase in activity, and I was a happy boy.
To make a verrrrrry long story short, I debuted my sauce with the guys at work, and my dive buddies this past weekend. We eat like kings on Saturday nights, and it was a huge hit. After sampling it with bleu-cheese burgers, ribs, poppers, various sausages, and a variety of chips and cheeses, I was lucky to divide the 4 bottles I brought equitably, and return home to my ONE, now extremely precious bottle, waiting patiently at home.
After being fully aware that this could be a VERY longterm experiment in flavor and process that could have ended up incredibly disappointing and bad-mood inducing, I am quite the happy camper! Incredible kudos, credit, gratitude and thanks to all my brethren here on THP for unknowingly guiding me and being humble enough to post your disasters, as well as successes, so I could squeeze every drop outta your knowledge, add a MightyPetrie twist, and come outta the backside a king. Ya'll are awesome!!!

Back