• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Snail Invasion!

Pepper belly: There's no question that salt works on both slugs and snails. The problem is that if it gets in the soil, that soil then becomes "dead". Nothing will grow there.

ON the subject of sharp things, that's reminded me: ground up egg shells. You might want to google that one, make sure my brain didn't just make it up.

I keep fire ants out of the yard by very judicious use of Andro. Maybe that's why I hosting a "snail sancuary" on my property.

I have heard of the eggshell thing too. I just don't eat eggs very often though.

So far the finding them with the flashlight and smashing them seems to be working.

imaguitargod said:
I don't understand the mentality of this thread. Why are we ignoring the Hot Pepper aspect of this eradication?

What...offer 'em twenty bucks if they'll eat a naga and film it for youtube?

I've been using copper pipes attached to the sides of my seed beds in the vegie garded for a while now and it seems to work. Just create a barrier of copper around your plant beds or pots they hate it.

Pam said:
The salt would dissolve into the soil and kill the plant.

"salting the earth" is what conquering armies did to rebellious towns, they salted the fields as punishment so they couldn't grow crops.

You know...after going to the salt flats 5 years in a row, i guess that one should've been obvious to me...DOH!:onfire:

Hmm Boags said:
I've been using copper pipes attached to the sides of my seed beds in the vegie garded for a while now and it seems to work. Just create a barrier of copper around your plant beds or pots they hate it.

Dont forget the electrical hookup -- thats always a shocker for 'em:shocked:

Geez, yous guys, ever heard'a sand? It's like crawling across broken glass for them. Make a ring around the plant 4-5" wide. If you wanna use garlic as a repellant (works fer lotsa critters),
puree up a bunch or two and dilute with water, spread it around.......
b:)

setzuanfire said:
Geez, yous guys, ever heard'a sand? It's like crawling across broken glass for them. Make a ring around the plant 4-5" wide. If you wanna use garlic as a repellant (works fer lotsa critters),
puree up a bunch or two and dilute with water, spread it around.......
b:)

I live in the sand hills of South Carolina.

So do lots and lots of slugs.

Sickmont said:
You know...after going to the salt flats 5 years in a row, i guess that one should've been obvious to me...DOH!:cool:

Heh...being a natural blonde I understand the difficulty in spotting the obvious sometimes.

STOP! Just stop now, all you hairy-bottomed methane factories, don't *even* start. I've already heard the joke. A bunch of times.

Really, I promise, I've heard it.

Back