• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

So. California Growers (Question)

Fall is Coming any time soon, I Know We Live in Pepper Heaven as We Stay Hot Year Round, As this is My First Year Growing I had a Few Questions, Can I Keep my Pepper Plants Outside During Fall and Winter? Will They Stay alive till Spring? the ones in Pots Might...Just Might be able to Bring In but I am really Limited as im in an Apartment. Will the Plants in Pots Make it outside?

i grew my plants all year, i do cut the plants back in dec to let them grow back out so they dont get uncontrollable.

Frost is the main concern. If you don't get frost there, they should be fine outside. The cold on it's own should do nothing more than slow growth down.

i've been able to overwinter outside, but the last few years have been fairly mild.

I think last winter, it hit 32 once or twice and no frost. Year before that, I dont think it hit 32 at all, also no real frost, maybe only on the roof of my garage, nothing at ground level. In fact, last year my wax apple and lychee didn't even lose most of their foliage.

I think about 10 years ago, we had numerous days w/ frost on the ground and on my car when I was leaving for school early in the morning. If that weather pattern ever came back, I think i'd be in trouble.

I did notice between the end of Dec and mid Jan it was a bit cold for my plants that the leaves became affected by it, but depending on the area you can build a small or individual polytunnel should be fine through the winter. Once winter passes you could just give them a small hair cut it should be fine. I am using tarps and a heater this year for the greenhouse to help them to keep pumping out pods through the winter and try to get the new starts out earlier.

* though you lived a in house orozco, because i saw u posted that you had ducks., I was thinking of getting one of these for the little plants? http://www.harborfre...ouse-96909.html, i dunno hope it works, its my first year too so i don't know much.
I Used to Live on a House last Year, Now im on an Apartment, Im lucky Tho as this One apartment has a back Yard pretty cool, The Dirt is not the Best but I added some Compost and I Rather Grow on Pots even thought they aren't any bigger than 3Gallons

28F would make me uncomfortable for sure. My plants have never experienced temps that low so I'm out on this one!

I assume anyway that frost would occur if the temp dropped below 32F??

Frost only occurs if there is enough humidity, watch the weather forecast on the local news as they will probably issue a frost alert if it is going to happen, in which case you can throw bed sheets or similar (lightweight) coverings over them to give them addt'l protection.

When it is 32F, the plants are in danger but when it happens for short periods the ground generally stays warmer than that and radiates heat upward all night so there is a good chance they will survive all winter long in your area, so long as it doesn't get too far below freezing for too long.

If the stress on them becomes high enough they will drop leaves on their own, no need to trim off leaves though as someone already mentioned, some leaves may end up being taken off as a consequence of, if you choose to, trim back the stem to a more manageable (more compact and dense) shape per the available space between each plant.

What makes the plant die first is freezing of the steams. It can lose all leaves and survive but then it brings in less energy and exerts more to grow new ones eventually. If it looses the leaves it may go completely dormant and wait until warmer weather hits to grow new ones. Generally if it gets cold enough to lose leaves (while still getting plenty of sun so that wasn't the reason), you may then have some dead tips of stems to cut off too. Generally you can tell this because the stem is green up to the point where it suddenly turns brown while usually without any damage, the further up the stem you go, the more green it is.

OROZCONLECHE living in socal myself.. i was able to leave some annuums in their pots untrimmed and they are still alive today.. not the best producers.. but all survived...so with this summers heat we having.. im guessing it wont frost here in socal...youll be good.. but i think the guys say to trim the plants... denniz

I'm around San Gabriel Valley. I have a few Jalapenos and Bells that have been around a few years in 5 gallon jugs but last year I did have a few frozen branches. I just cut them back and they are fine now but there is a lot of scarring. Lots of branches have gray areas with almost white patches on them. A friend told me to just water them really good, then lay some plastic sheets over them on the maybe 5 cold nights we get a year. I'll try that this winter.

I really hope we dont get a frist I Have a pepper tree so big and its got a load amount of flowers, all are droping for mow and i just want a few pods to make it before it gets cold

Back