• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

So Far So Good

Repost from welcome forum -

Hi everybody. Total newbie to this and jumped in with both feet. A little nervous and looking for moral support.
I sewed 18 varieties (13 hot, 5 sweet) in a Burpee 72 cell seed starter kit on March 3. Took the lid off on March 10 because sprouts had occurred and I wasn't sure about threat of dampening off. Have a heat mat under them and a grow lite 2-3 inches above the sprouts. Currently have 49 out of 72 cells germinated. Not really a pattern but it seems like the sweet bells (California Wonder, Chinese Giant and Carnival Hybrid) are having a harder time. Kung Paos and Big Thais were first. Also have a fan on low since March 10.

Bought several books and learning what I can from reading and youtube. Expect to harden off mid May and transplant into pots and raised beds late May.

Will transition this conversation to the proper forum but questions include:

1. Did I do the right thing by removing the lid after some sprouting?
2. Should i expect to transplant out of the seed kit before putting into ground? Not sure how long they can stay in there.
3. When/if to fertilize? With what?
4. Best material for pots and beds to transplant them in to?
5. Anything unique about the bell varieties that would make them take longer to germinate?
6. Totally confused about pollenating...
7. Any other advice for a newb...

John

1 that's fine but maybe you could move the ones that sprouted and put the lid back on to hold in the moisture.

2 yes! Go to somewhere like menards and they have trays of 18 4in square pots for like 5 bucks max

3 the putting soils usually are pretty good for a while. Its not going to hurt if you do when they get a little bigger tho. Some people do it all the time. Just be careful not to burn them up. This its what i get from the local hydro store
CAM00242_zps7378c60d.jpg

CAM00265_zps6ca2a1e9.jpg

4 use what ever your comfortable with but if your using bagged soil for pots of making your own the bigger container the better. The more there roots can grow the bigger the plant! 5 gallon buckets work good and are cheap.

5 i don't grow bells but peppers can be notorious for taking there time. Had a butch t that took over a month.

6 if there outside the bugs will pollinate them for you. If, inside just shake there branches or use a soft little paint brush. They are self pollinators so you can just tickle the bloom and the pollin will pollinate it.

7 enjoy your grow and don't make it to complicated. Lol... We all do it but its not rocket science. Hell plant em and watch them go! Oh and use a fan to try and avoid dampening of but you will be fine man. Next year venture into some super hots if us want to have some fun. Lol... Hell I'll supply you with the seed if you want. Its prolly a little late to start them now tho as they take 180 days or so to get pods.

OP I mean no offense but it appears you're looking for step by step directions on how to grow peppers. Everyone of these questions has been asked and answered thousands of times. The information you're looking for is here you just need to spend some time looking for it. I would suggest you check out the "glogs" forum. A lot of folks post pics and describe every step they go through. All of your answers are there.

Best of luck to you man.

Back