• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

So i got ripped off....

I ordered some White lightning habanero seeds off of amazon back in december. Finaly got them planted and fruiting and much to my dismay they are not white lightnings.Seller also now has a S@#$-ton of bad reviews. While im not so worried about the money i spent i AM curious as to what kind of peppers Ive got. Heat wise they are bellow Jalapenos, the seeds are white in color, and the fruit starts green and ripens to a neon yellow. Any help you guys could give me would be appreciated.

No idea. At first i thought one looked like a Yellow 7 pod but at closer inspection i think not.

Probably have your hands on a XYZ cross. It's a bit hard to tell from the pic but i would guess it as being C.Chinense.

Edit: Welcome the THP!

Agreed they look like a cross.  The Trin Perfumes I have going this year are pointy-er than these (yours look more bell shaped).  They taste like they're gonna be hot when you first bite into em but no heat ever arrives.  

Unfortunately the Aji Dulces I planted this year turned out to be beastly orange habaneros so I can't reference the possibility.  Definitely Trin Perfume coloring though.

Ok lets see:
pepperguy1. Yeah at least i didn't get weeds. I didn't have this kind of pepper before so at least i have a new addition. and a sweeter pepper can defiantly be put to use. I'm thinking i can put some in a mead.
Arkansasjack. No it defiantly doesn't have the heat of a scotch bonnet. The burn is very mild and doesn't last long.
Virgilcane. Never heard of them. Ill defiantly look them up.
Cruzzfish. Connecticut is pretty far away or i would let you have a plant.
Daqatz. Im pretty sure you nailed it. Did a search for those and they look exactly the same.
Everyone else. Thanks for your input. I'm floored at how many people actually responded. THANKS A TON. I spent a few hours today trying to figure this out and you guys put me on the right track in minutes. This was defiantly the place to ask.

Well, Pepperlover is on this site, as, wait for it, Pepperlover. In fact, Judy, aka Pepperlover, was post #9 on this thread. There are several excellent sellers here and Judy is one of them. She also sells fresh peppers and is developing new varieties.

Go to the vendor vault subforum to read up on the various sellers. The good, the bad and the ugly are all there.

VirgilCane said:
Avoid the sadness and just order fresh pods from Pepperlover; that way, if you decide to plant the seeds in those pods, you know exactly what they are :)
So VirgilCane how is or what is the proper technique to collect the seeds for next year? I just searched on here by typing in "saving seeds" & "seeds from fresh pods". Perhaps a better search term is/was needed.
Thank you

Open ripe pods, remove seeds, let them dry, put them in an envelope, label well, keep in a cool dark place.

I just do it the quick way by putting the wet seeds in a well marked envelope, sticking it on a sunny window sill for a few days, then filing them away with the rest of my stash.

When I have something I may want to "refresh my memory" before planting, and I have a load of pods, I'll dry the pod whole----takes longer----but then I have some tasty bits to sample before planting.

Honestly I open the pods, take the seeds, separate them from the placenta, wrap the seeds in paper towels and place em in an open plastic bag for a few days so moisture can go away, then close the bag with as little air in it as possible. I just started my first real grow with seeds saved this way and had 100% germination Rate on all 3 types :) the 4th type, Serranos, sadly didnt, but those I hadn't put in a paper towel and they were also from the grocery store.

Gotrox said:
Open ripe pods, remove seeds, let them dry, put them in an envelope, label well, keep in a cool dark place.

I just do it the quick way by putting the wet seeds in a well marked envelope, sticking it on a sunny window sill for a few days, then filing them away with the rest of my stash.

When I have something I may want to "refresh my memory" before planting, and I have a load of pods, I'll dry the pod whole----takes longer----but then I have some tasty bits to sample before planting.
Thank you very much.
VirgilCane said:
Honestly I open the pods, take the seeds, separate them from the placenta, wrap the seeds in paper towels and place em in an open plastic bag for a few days so moisture can go away, then close the bag with as little air in it as possible. I just started my first real grow with seeds saved this way and had 100% germination Rate on all 3 types :) the 4th type, Serranos, sadly didnt, but those I hadn't put in a paper towel and they were also from the grocery store.
And thank you very much also.

Back