• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

So I started my CPAP Machine Last night...

I started using my CPAP machine last night for my sleep apnea, and today I have a ridiculous amount of energy, almost like I chugged an energy drink. 

If you use a CPAP machine, have you experienced this?  I can't find anything on the internet in a quick search that shows anyone having this symptom.   The only thing I have found was that sometimes you will experience a "CPAP High" - and maybe this is that.  

My grandmother is diagnosed with sleep apnea and she uses a CPAP machine.  My brother and I both think we have it as well.  Apparently one of the syptoms of sleep apnea is lack of energy due to a lack of restful sleep due to unstable blood oxygen-carbon dioxide ratios.  Therefore i would certainly imagine that once you are able to get proper respiration during sleep it will lead to more restful sleep... and tons of energy when you wake up.  The lack of energy and fatigue can also lead to depression, which is also indirectly treated with the CPAP.  My own sleep apnea is also complicated by my severe asthma, which gets worse at night... my airways become obstructed because I am not actively coughing up the mucus/taking deep breaths.... and I do not get sustained deep sleep because I have to wake up to clear my airways during the night.  I imagine a CPAP machine would do me a world of good. 

Scuba_Steve said:
Well, look at it this way.  You have not really slept in ages.  This is your first experience being well rested!
 Good way to look at it!   All my coworkers are amazed at how energetic I am today! I told them GET USED TO IT!  

I was a force before....Now I'm rested....If this is what being well rested is like....LOOK OUT WORLD.   
Noah Yates said:
My grandmother is diagnosed with sleep apnea and she uses a CPAP machine.  My brother and I both think we have it as well.  Apparently one of the syptoms of sleep apnea is lack of energy due to a lack of restful sleep due to unstable blood oxygen-carbon dioxide ratios.  Therefore i would certainly imagine that once you are able to get proper respiration during sleep it will lead to more restful sleep... and tons of energy when you wake up.  The lack of energy and fatigue can also lead to depression, which is also indirectly treated with the CPAP.  My own sleep apnea is also complicated by my severe asthma, which gets worse at night... my airways become obstructed because I am not actively coughing up the mucus/taking deep breaths.... and I do not get sustained deep sleep because I have to wake up to clear my airways during the night.  I imagine a CPAP machine would do me a world of good. 

I would go to the doc.  I went to the doc and he tried prescribing me Vitamin D before I went to a sleep study.   When I went to the sleep study they said I was having 287 Events an Hour.   Which is Moderate-Severe apnea.    I truly hope this is the new me, I could get used to this.   

Thanks for the kind words, thoughts, and contribution to this conversation.  It is greatly appreciated.   

I am a newbie when it comes to CPAP.  I am hoping this isn't a placebo. 

Plus when you wake up you look like you got into a Mexican knife fight years ago from the strap marks on your face. That's always a plus ! :)

Vicious Vex said:
I started using my CPAP machine last night for my sleep apnea, and today I have a ridiculous amount of energy, almost like I chugged an energy drink. 

If you use a CPAP machine, have you experienced this?  I can't find anything on the internet in a quick search that shows anyone having this symptom.   The only thing I have found was that sometimes you will experience a "CPAP High" - and maybe this is that.  

Yes.

I haven't missed a night since the day I got it like 7 years ago.

I love my CPAP machine.
sirex said:
Plus when you wake up you look like you got into a Mexican knife fight years ago from the strap marks on your face. That's always a plus ! :)

This. Sometimes I forget about it - because I work from home - and run out on the occasional weekend morning with them unknowingly ... LOL.
Vicious Vex said:

CPAP == never having a hangover again, too.

Vicious Vex said:

Some people that scuba diver get that feeling too.Like Noah say oxygen does this to some people.Do you remember those oxygen bars ?  :drunk:

pepperguy1 said:
Some people that scuba diver get that feeling too.Like Noah say oxygen does this to some people.Do you remember those oxygen bars ?  :drunk:
I used to do some scuba diving in florida in the cave systems, but that was a few years ago.   I vaguely remember feeling awesome while doing it. 
grantmichaels said:

Yes.

I haven't missed a night since the day I got it like 7 years ago.

I love my CPAP machine.

Thanks man.  It is nice to know I am not having some weird reaction.  I really appreciate this response.  Does this feeling last for good?  Or is this just how it feels until i get used to a good nights rest? 

Vicious Vex said:
Thanks man.  It is nice to know I am not having some weird reaction.  I really appreciate this response.  Does this feeling last for good?  Or is this just how it feels until i get used to a good nights rest? 

It fades once it becomes your normal, unfortunately ... I remember than feeling clearly ...

Vicious Vex said:

I may skip the weekends with CPAP then to prolong the feeling. LOL

Why do you think I occasionally sleep on the couch? ... that's not really true, though, while I do sleep on the couch on occasion, I prefer to always get at least 5 hrs of mask-time once I wake up on the couch ...

It's not uncommon for me to sleep on the couch from 3-3:30AM to 6:30-7AM, then wake-up and go in to bed, and put in 3.5-5 more hours with the mask ...

The more mask time the better.

Two nights with no mask is enough to get half that sensation back on the night you use it next ...

It took almost 3 months before I noticed a real change in energy.  I never really felt tired all the time before I started using it , like some people .  What I have noticed is waking up with many less aches and pains, and I have dreams I remember now.  My REM sleep was so choppy before the CPAP , the chart just looked like a porcupine.  The chart from the sleep study with the CPAP on showed a nice long  solid  line of REM.  

Do they monitor usage down there  to keep your Drivers license?  

CPAP machine is great .
BUT , please remember it is only the last and final resort if all other problems have been excluded or treated.
( i.e. allergies , weight etc.)

karoo said:
CPAP machine is great .
BUT , please remember it is only the last and final resort if all other problems have been excluded or treated.
( i.e. allergies , weight etc.)
Oh I know, I am overweight 6'3" 314 (as of this morning), and it contributes to my apnea no doubt.   I also have a short and stocky neck with a "narrow passageway" - or at least that is what I was told.   The said that even with losing weight I may not get rid of my apnea entirely because of my throat, but they still encouraged me to do so.   Down 42.5 pounds as of this morning!   Still don't think i'll ever hit the goal weight of 185 though.   I wear a size 38 pants @ 314.  

Ashen said:
It took almost 3 months before I noticed a real change in energy.  I never really felt tired all the time before I started using it , like some people .  What I have noticed is waking up with many less aches and pains, and I have dreams I remember now.  My REM sleep was so choppy before the CPAP , the chart just looked like a porcupine.  The chart from the sleep study with the CPAP on showed a nice long  solid  line of REM.  

Do they monitor usage down there  to keep your Drivers license?  

I didn't have any issues with falling asleep behind the wheel or when I stayed actively engaged.    They don't monitor that down here, but they do want to make sure you get "at least 5 hours of good mask time each night".   My sleep study went from 187 events per hour to 0.   This is my second day of restful sleep, and I only got 5.5 hours last night but I feel better than when I used to sleep for 12 hours.   

I felt exhausted all the time, mentally, physically, emotionally.  The difference really is amazing.  My fiance said I had more energy and "happiness" than she had seen in me in a couple years.   I joined a CPAP community online, and apparently having the "miracle night" is a common feeling among new CPAP users.   

I can't wait to go to sleep tonight to feel rested tomorrow.   

Back