• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds So when's everyone starting their seedlings?

I have some of my seedlings started already in the greenhouse, but not all of them. I have some seeds still coming to me so I have to wait on those to start them. Hopfully I'll have all my seeds I want to grow by the first week of december!

So lets hear it, when is everyone starting their seeds and what kinds are the growing! 

Here's my schedule and what I'll be growing.

December 7th - Start seedlings
February 15th - Transplant into pots
April 18th - Transplant outside

List of peppers

* Brown Moruga Scorpion​

* Chocolate Morugs Scorp.​

* Caramel Moruga Scorp.​

* Red Moruga Scorpion​

* Red Moruga Satan Strn.​

* Yellow Moruga Scorp.​

Brown Naglah​

* Red Naglah​

Chocolate Bhutlah​

* 7 Pot Primo​

* 7 Pot Brain Strain Red​

* 7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow​

* 7 Pot Brown​

* 7 Pot Bubblegum​

* 7 Pot Douglah​

* 7 Pot Douglah Red​

* UN Brain Strain Cross​

* Sepia Serpent​

* Carolina Reaper​

* Jays Ghost Scorpion Red​

* Brazil Ghost Pepper​

* Douglah X Butch T crs.​

*Brazilian Brain Strain​

* 7 Pot Savannah​

* Red Butch T​

* Unknown Brown Long​

* Unknown Brown Round​

7 Pot Jonah​

7 Pot Primo x Butch T ​

I started the Ghost scorpion's already the others will Jan or Feb  and my non supper hots, March, I wont put any out till at lest May 15th when it's not to cold here.   

i hope you dont mind lawrence, but i have an additional question. with the tough seeds do you guys use any special techniques or additives to get them to pop?

maanmaan said:
i hope you dont mind lawrence, but i have an additional question. with the tough seeds do you guys use any special techniques or additives to get them to pop?
Nope my seed starter is peat moss and mycos at 90f

Planting most perennial seeds (which includes peppers) outdoors here goes from August-June (i.e. nearly all year; every year) here in Tampa, FL. I just did 105 new/different plant types the other night; mostly peppers and a bunch of new papaya cultivars for the op. They don't grow like crazy during the couple cool months, but they sprout and do their things as at least half the time it still gets nice and toasty during the day. I'd continue but I'm afraid some of our northern (where I'm from) chile hot heads might manage to figure out how to strangle me. But we do get some cold and remember that DRY is the bigger threat than a nip of cold, realizing that most frost damage isnt from the cold but rather the burn that occurs when morning rays contacts the ice prisms coating the leaves.

Plant-out April 18th, zone 7a? Earliest i've heard, but i'm sure you're using a technique that works for you. I'm in zone 6b and anything planted out early May or before = weak compromised plants (a week of very cold rain is usually the culprit)

I stagger my seed sowing between early February & early March depending on their ripening times, Chinense, Annuums etc. Sometimes i'll start seed in January, otherwise i'll just overwinter if i want a big  head start. Outdoor plant-out starts in the 2nd week of May for me, with lots of plastic ready to keep off the cool spring downpours. I plant mostly in-ground btw.

i sow till the end march
first the chinese and pubescens probably untill januari, march for annuum species like ring of fire and diffrent jalapeno strains
yesterday i sow some brazilian starfish and yellow primos  :P

I'll be starting mine between the middle of January and the first of February.  Our last frost normally hits around the end of March so 10 weeks or so back from that.

Here is my small grow list for the year.  I still have seeds coming in so it'll probably get adjusted.

-  Carolina Reaper
-  Bubblegum 7 Pot
-  Ice Scream Scorpion (Butch T)
-  Brain Strain Yellow 7 Pot
-  Brain Strain Red 7 Pot
-  Brown or Yellow Moruga (can't decide)
-  Burgundy 7 Pot
-  White 7 Pot
-  Scorpion Sweet
-  Trinidad Perfume

I plan on growing 1 or 2 of each plant.  The Ice Scream Scorpion and Moruga will probably only have one plant each.  I'll be adding a few habanero's in there as well, but the seeds haven't arrived yet so I'm not sure what's going on the list.

maanmaan said:
some people use H202, have it but never used it before, they say its good against mold and fungi
never had probs with mold or anything... :rolleyes:

The few Chinese I will be growing will be started a couple days
before Christmas. The rest, March 1st. I like to play it safe with
the peppers and plant out May 1st. I plant some of my tomatoes
first week of April.

Well last year our last frost was April 15th here, so I normally plant a few days after that, or if it's too cold I'll wait a bit. As long as it's about 75 in the day and above 60 a night I plant them and cover them with film to protect them. 

As for seedlings and getting them started I just use peat moss, with a small bit of decomposed leaves in it, and pearlite. No ferts at all. I let them get into the pots before I start ferts. I have tried using a root stimulator and it seemed to help them grow more roots but they also became more root bound quicker so I had to repot sooner. 

I'm hoping to start the chinense and pubescens next week pending the arrival of the mycorrhizae inoculate I'm going to dunk my seeds in... this is my first year so I want to leave room for a screw up or two. Or especially seeds not germinating.

Back