• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Socks?

Maybe I'm out of my mind, but has anybody considered starting seeds in old socks? I had a good experience growing in a grow bag last year, and most agree that it keeps your plants from becoming root bound. I'm thinking I might try starting a few seeds in socks, rather than solo cups next year. You know, just to see how it goes. Has anybody tried something like this?

Transient Exuberance said:
I think it might be a problem getting it out when it's time to pot it up. If that isn't as difficult as I'd expect it to be then it sounds like it could work, maybe really well. Seems worth trying anyway.

And yes, you probably are out of your mind.
Haha I will be the test subject. I will do some in socks, some in cups. We will see who does better I guess!

socks cost a shit load. and my worn out socks are full of holes and worthless for such a task.

perhaps ladies nylons. just purchase them with cash lest your partner think you are a secrete tranny.

i suspect nylon stockings will break down rather fast in sunlight. less so under artificial light.

make a dirt sausage with the nylons... roll up sausages of dirt, then zip tie the sausage twice on each end leaving a 1/8" gap.

cut this gap and you will have a nylon dirt sausage. stab this sausage with a sharp instrument of some sort and push a seed into this stab wound.

hahahaha, nylon dirt sausage. Sounds delightful. I'm sure it'll work! seeds and plants seem pretty able to grow anywhere.

I don't know that socks will be too terribly expensive. Maybe 50 cents each. If you are growing hundreds of plants, that could be a problem. I will probably be growing 20 plants next season, so I'll give it a shot and let everybody know!

Back