• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Soil compaction....

What's the best way to avoid it? I'm about to start transplanting several plants into 5-7 gallon pots; the only issue I really had last year was the soil eventually becoming extremely compacted and cutting off growth.
I've used the search function but haven't found much specifically dealing with this issue.
Any tips, or a push in the direction of where this has already been covered, would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps, I'm using MG potting soil (nonorganic), cut with perlite.

Bottom feed with flood trays. I know it will help but I do not bottom feed and I do use mg reg soil with perlite too. Although it does become compact it really just wont matter when you use small pots like me :). I find potting mix to compact easy in #3 nursery pots and above. The larger the container, the larger the grow medium partical size should be.

Professional Secret: Do not repot unless it is absolutely necessary. Nearly all potted plants will grow more vigorously and bloom more profusely if their roots are “tight” in the pot. This means that there are lots of healthy roots growing throughout the interior and around the outside of the rootball. Optimally, root systems should occupy three quarters of the volume of the pot.

http://horticulturalhelp.com/ipb5.html

I figured it was a watering issue. I'll try that if it becomes an issue again this year.

What were you using last year that compacted your soil? You should be fine with the MG and added perlite.
last year I was completely clueless.

This year, I'm just slightly clueless (mainly because I have THP for information)

bottom watering will make a huge difference. And you could add some perlite, vermiculite or the like. The bottom watering will make so that your gently soaking the dirt at it's own pace, rather than splashing it on the top which it then drains by gravity and the force of the constant watering makes the soil move and compact. Good luck

In my experience plants grow much better in larger containers. Just mix a light, well draining soil mix. I use 50% soil conditioner, 20% pine nuggets, 10% potting soil, 10% composted manure, and 10% perlite in 7 gallon and 5 gallon containers. Plants are growing great.

From my experience...........

It has a lot to do with climate. My season ,5b, is not long enough for a jalapeno to get root bound as I like it be in a 3 gal pot, so I use #2 pots. If I use bloom fertilizer with high levels of Ca/Mg/S every other watering I can achieve a huge harvest on a compact bush. My plants get so root bound they have to be watered/fertilized twice a day.

My season is year round, I hope to have these same plants three years from now. At that time they will be in larger capacity smart pots.

Every place has different circumstances to deal with.

My season is year round, I hope to have these same plants three years from now. At that time they will be in larger capacity smart pots.

Every place has different circumstances to deal with.

I would like a year round season!!!! How old can they get?

This is another benefit of sequential potting(i.e. going to bigger and bigger pots). You loosen the rootball and plant in fresh soil each time you move up. I have year round growing too. At some point you have to shake/spray off the soil trim the roots and replant into the same pot. That is unless you can find a bigger pot. I wouldn't due that until at least 8 months since the last pot. Salts cause crustiness even when you bottom water so a good rinse once in a while helps.

I am a big fan of coco pith. It seems to help.

My thoughts are to get them into their final, or longterm home, with as few disruption as possible.

Different theories from different growers. Take what works for you, and leave the rest behind.

"My thoughts are to get them into their final, or longterm home, with as few disruption as possible."

I agree.

My thoughts are to get them into their final, or longterm home, with as few disruption as possible.

Different theories from different growers. Take what works for you, and leave the rest behind.
Very true. There's no good reason not to place a seedling directly into a 3 or 5 gallon container. Spatial and lighting concerns aside...

Yea I agree on that. I will let mine go from the seed tray to a 4 inch pot, then into its final container. I learned from on here that it is good to do that to get upper structure growth then pot up.

In my experience plants grow much better in larger containers. Just mix a light, well draining soil mix. I use 50% soil conditioner, 20% pine nuggets, 10% potting soil, 10% composted manure, and 10% perlite in 7 gallon and 5 gallon containers. Plants are growing great.

From my experience...........

what is soil conditioner? haven't heard of it before.. I also just heard of people adding humus or whatever to soil.. which I thought was pretty strange lol.

oh and I noticed that at least with the smaller pots so far, that putting a layer of mulch/pine chips on top helps when watering from the top so that the soil doesn't sink it like crazy and you don't put holes in the soil from the water, works great.. it also keeps the top of the soil from drying out really fast

what is soil conditioner? haven't heard of it before.. I also just heard of people adding humus or whatever to soil.. which I thought was pretty strange lol.

oh and I noticed that at least with the smaller pots so far, that putting a layer of mulch/pine chips on top helps when watering from the top so that the soil doesn't sink it like crazy and you don't put holes in the soil from the water, works great.. it also keeps the top of the soil from drying out really fast

Hey thanks I have some pine mulch I am not using too.

It is mainly pine fines with some sand mixed in. Buy it at the Home Depot, google it.

Good cheap base for your fast draining soil mixture.

Back