• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil soil conditions

I will tell you all my soil mix.
I perfer to use miracle grow potting soil. I use a 50% potting soil mix and 50% manure mix.
I know some of you may think this may sound gross, but
the results dont lie.

I ordered 4 Bhut jolokias, 4 Thai/viet dragons, 3 scotch bonnets, 4 red habaneros,
and planted one regular orange habanero ( which is a peach/ yellow habanero) As well as the mystery Chili plant. All were planted once they arrived in late march.

It is now going into september

My plants went from little babies
to big mama jamas!

I will take a pic of my Chili garden tomorrow during the day time.

All of them

Once you make your own soil, you will never use MG again. Its pretty simple and I have many custom mixes but for starters go peat, compost, verm, perilte. This doesn't mention conditioners and additives that I use either. Just tailor it for your purposes. Its cheaper, better, and healthier for the environment.

For containers I like to start with either ProMix or Sunshine. Then its on to the fun stuff, greensand, dolomitic lime, rock phosphate, kelp, guano's, worm castings, bone meal, blood meal, alfalfa meal, cotton seed meal, etc...

The one thing I always use either in the garden or containers is Azomite it is basically the periodic table in a bag. Great stuff for full healthy plant growth.

Most amendments are based on what can be sourced locally. Next year I am putting in two raised beds of Russian Comfrey to play with. Let the soil/nature feed the plants and you don't have to.

I have used non miracle grow potting soil as well. only reason i buy it is because its readily available at walmart.
same goes for my pots my plants reside in.

I too used miracle grow for years because it was so readily available. Then this year when I started trying to grow super hots, I noticed that their growth was extremely stunted compared to most posts I had seen on THP. About a month ago I took my pathetic little plants and transferred them to Pro-mix HP, and they have since taken off. Pro Mix is on sale since its the end of the season, so I bought a bale and will never go back to MG.

If you learn to make your own mixes you will do a hole lot better growing. MG is junk believe me compared to all others. Have now learned to grow in 100% coco, much better and renewable they grow coconuts every where

After five months of growing the plants should look pretty good.

The only issue I've ever had with Miracle Gro is the amount of nitrogen it has. You can grow some seriously huge plants and leaves but when it comes to producing pods Nitrogen is the anti-growth. Aphids seem to love plants grown in Miracle Gro too.

I'm a Pro-mix guy myself.

Back