• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Soil mixture for self watering / sips

So I'm attempting to grow my peppers in double 5 gallon buckets but what I'm looking for is a soil recipe from others that grow peppers in the same fashion.

Despite the big movement for this type growing I haven't found a lot of info on soil.

I hear you want a light soilless mixture.
I found these recipes

Recipe #1: Sphagnum Peat

70% Sphagnum Peat

20% Vermiculite

10% Perlite

Recipe #2: Sphagnum Peat and Coir

35% Sphagnum Peat

35% Coir

20% Vermiculite

10% Perlite

Recipe #3:  Coir

70% Coir

30% Perlite

I have also read up about Pro-Mix a soilless all in one. I'm not sure which way is cheaper.

Of I make one of the homemade mixture should I add dolomite to the top several inches of the soil and a ring of fertilizer around the plant?

-=Jason=-

I don't have any experience with SIP's, but recipe #3 would require hydro/coco nutrients and the plants to be fed every watering for best results. I would also skip the dolomite lime if you are going with it. It's not a recommended amendment for coco. I've had great results with coco and Hempy buckets. Similar principle to the SIP's.

If you want more hands on info with the SIP's, be sure to check out JJJ's glog:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44369-jjj-glog-2014-a-few-pods-now-in-technicolor/

Neil

OK so I was planning on making my own mix but I found this a bag of Pro-Mix normally $25 on sale for 50% off. I had a gift card with store credit on it so I said hey why not give it a go.

8IIHFce.jpg
UOdNsDv.jpg

Here's the jalapeño
BPrxGMy.jpg

The Habanero
wd06ATV.jpg
I hope he will still make it.

And the current setup. I plan on adding another prestarted plant. Maybe Anaheim chili plant or something
tKfXdFL.jpg

Back