• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Soil suggestions for first transplant

Ok, so it is about time to transplant some my seedling from their little 1 by 1 inch seed starting tray to something a little bit bigger. Does anyone have suggestions on what kid of soil I should get. I have seed starting mix, but I didn't think i should used that, and I've read that potting soil holds too much water. Let me know what you think.

I use a mix of seed starting mix mushroom compost and pine bark fines for potting transplants into 3 inch pots. I also add a little lime to the mix. Works well for me.

Good thread Jarvass...this is the first time I have used the small germination trays. I have started in 9 oz clear plastic cups then transplanted to 6" pots. When I did that, I just used Miracle Grow (bad word here) garden soil and mixed some fertilize with it for transplant. I started my seeds in Hoffmans Seed Starter in the 9 oz cups for starters.

Now that I am using germination trays, I am going to transplant to 9 oz cups using some "heavier" seed starting soil I bought at my local nursery, still a "dirtless" soil. When I transplant to 6" pots, I will use some garden soil that is 60% compost and 40% sand with some fertilize mixed in I found at a local dairy. I am growing in 5 gallon containers this year and will use the 60% compost/40% sand for transplant also.

I use promix from start to finish or make my own mix of: vermiculite/perlite/peat/compost and some lime

i'm trying out coco coir this year but when i move them outside in their grown up planters i'll use my own mix, i'm thinkin' coir/compost/sand so far, but i used to just use that cheapy topsoil they sell in those huge bags then i'd add compost and vermiculite.

jarvass85 said:
You guys are actually mixing sand in? I've never heard of that.

I mix sand in for good drainage

Last year I gave my Grandfather a few pepper plants, he live near the beach, so his soil has a decent amount of sand in it and those plants were about half the size of mine. I thought the sand in the soil did it, maybe it was another factor.

jarvass85 said:
Last year I gave my Grandfather a few pepper plants, he live near the beach, so his soil has a decent amount of sand in it and those plants were about half the size of mine. I thought the sand in the soil did it, maybe it was another factor.

My first inclination is there was too much salt in the air/water/sand...

Everything I have read for growing peppers says a well drained soil...like a loamy sand or sandy loam...but you also have to have nutrients whether it comes from compost or commercial fertilize....MHO

I think I'll have to try a few different combinations of soil mixes, when I go to the 3 inch pots. I'll give the sand a shot. I'll see what works best i guess.

:( I've always used Miracle-Gro compost because it's easy for me to get, it does though. I also put pebbles/stones in the bottom of my pot for drainage.

I transplant into 9 oz. clear plastic cups with holes punched in the bottom, the mix I use is 2 parts Miracle Grow Organic Compost, 2 parts Miracle Grow Cactus soil, 1 part perlite....wait a week before using dilute fertilizer solution.

Back