• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Sold as Bhut Jolokia (they're not)--what are they???

Bought seedlings from a nursery this past spring being sold as bhut jolokias.  As they started to fruit I had my doubts, but now I am 100% sure that I was had!  The ripe one is on the small side for the other fruit on the plant (average 2.5-3.5" long and about the same dimensions as the one in the picture).  Flesh is medium to thick, sweet citrus flavor with a heat that builds to greater than orange habanero levels--these make my tongue ache.  To me, they look too large and oddly shaped to be a pure habanero--but my money is on a hab cross of some type.  Anyone else have any thoughts?

http://imgur.com/a/YlhGm

Heat highly concentrated near the stem or roughly equal throughout? That should give us a good indicator of the amount of superhot dna in there.
Alternatively you could show us the inside.

Not a lot of placental tissue in those walls but there does seem to be some here and there so could be some super DNA but it doesn't look like a lot. The open one looks pretty well pollinated from all those seeds so I'd guess no recent cross-species pollination (all chinense). The new ones also have less obvious tails than seen in the first photos, making them look a lot like but not quite identical to Red Savinas.
Not entirely sure what they are I'm afraid.

Back