Some can't handle the heat.

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to the world of "superhot" peppers. After much reading about the famed Bhut Jolokia and Scorpion strains, I was lucky enough to find this little nook of an online community. This place is a great wealth of information, and after reading TheLunchBox's post selling some of his home grown (and organic) superhot peppers, I ordered them and had a mixed variety box sent to my house. I've probably tried 3-4 different pods, used them in a really delicious sauce for rubs and also in a dipping sauce for chips. Eating a whole pepper is in no way easy for me, but I did grow up on spicy food and consider myself pretty tolerant to heat. My friend Joe however, a fair-skinned, auburn-haired Irish guy who grew up on bread and potatoes, is deeply, deeply affected by spicy food. He's also very challenge-oriented. This was the perfect opportunity for an insanely hilarious, wonderfully awful experience. Joe and I took on peppers at the same time and my girlfriend documented. We were not expecting it to be as epic of an outcome as it was, but since we had magic on film, we edited the insanity and made it a mini movie. Check it out.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/aq6MwW4xiQE[/youtube]

I would have to say no because the only two people I know personally that can handle the super hots are me and a friend of mine and we're both as pale if not worse than him.
I know I'm Irish and Scottish and Love super hots I use Melinda's Jolokia at work and someone I work with of Hispanic decent determined if I, a pale white boy, could eat it then surely it wasn't half as hot as I was trying to claim it was.
He then put a good 3-5 drops on the end of chicken breast, against my suggestion and protest, and put the whole thing in his mouth. after about 2-3 mins he had a very similar reaction minus the upchuck.

After recovering he promptly said the next time he wants to try anything I eat to punch him and remind him of the 15 mins of excruciating heat in his mouth and how it seemed to be sweating directly out of the pores in his face.

Then again the first time I shoved a whole Naga Morich into my face and did the whole chewing it for a min before swallowing it I thought there might have been steam coming out of my ears for a good 10 mins.

The next week I did the same thing because 2 of my friends in FL wanted to try some of the hottest peppers in the world, Mind you this was a year and a half ago, and I had your reaction while they both couldn't make it past the 2 min mark before they ran for the Milk, Ice cream, Bread, and just about everything else they could think might cut the heat.

So I think a lot has to do with knowing what to expect and preparing yourself for the intense burn and getting past that fear that your brain seems to think you just stuffed a red hot coal into your mouth and convincing it that it really is only temporary and not a real burn.

Haha, nice vid. Extremely disgusting but entertaining none the less. What did you think of the Black nagas? (if you got any from LB)

Nice vid! I like the editing. I feel bad for your buddy though. I've experienced the pain of throwing up a superhot before and it is not fun. Puking by itself is a painful experience, but when you throw a superhot into the mix it's excruciating. The mixture of capsaicin and stomach acid burning your esophagus on the way up is horrible. But once it's over you have a lot of relief, except for the horrible burn in your throat.

Things like this always make me thankful that I am unable to puke. Its like Will Ferrell in Semi-Pro, I just can't do it.

I do feel sorry for him as well, I know that can't be pleasant. I have seen so many people throw up from eating whole pods, it always seems strange to me.

That video had me rolling. Oh man, your friend got destroyed. I hope I don't react like that when I eat my first super hot pod.

The whole video is like 24 minutes of hilariousness, the file size is 3.36 gigs so its too large to really upload. Having eaten a few of them now my advice would be not to swallow them. These are meant to be used to flavor/spice a large quantity of food, not be consumed alone (IMO). I had nothing but a banana in my stomach so it was a bit of a mental battle to not throw up. I have a video of him eating a Moruga (spelling) Scorpion and a Bird pepper that are extremely funny as well. He'll try any pepper so he's a great sport about it. If you don't use milk your stomach will have a tough time with nothing but a superhot pod in it from what I'm experiencing.

Being a ginger, I can speak from experience and being fair skin has nothing to do with it. Now, what I think it is, is being a ginger you have no soul there for it doesn't effect you the same. Plus when you can make things spontaneously combust just by looking at them, peppers are just child's play.

Edit; the editing was awesome! "Is that spit in your cup?"
-"yeah, and a lot of sweat and tears."
EPIC

Which superhot did you give that poor Irish guy?

I'm a fair skinned Irish lad, and I have no problems with spicy food! You heard it hear first folks. I speak on behalf of the entire fair skinned community.

I guess it doesn't matter. I was wondering since fair skin is more sensitive than my Spanish/Italian skin, such as sun etc. My gf has fair skin and cannot even eat the jalapenos from my garden.

The topic title is really just a pun. I have no idea if it holds any truth. I believe we both ate Naga Morich (regulars). He appeared to go in and out of consciousness briefly when he ate the Scorpion, but he was drinking milk within a minute or two of that pepper. I definitely felt the Scorpion was more intense, but tolerable (just not in the stomach).

Hmm, I wonder if fair-skinned people have a harder time with spicy food.

I'm as white as the driven snow & I love capsaicin heat. I know other white people (Irish, British, American) who also have good tolerance.

Conversely I have an indian friend and also a Thai friend who both can barely handle a jalapeño.

I don't think it's a matter of white people vs brown people - more them's that can handle heat (mouth, stomach, digestive system) and them's that can't.

Being a ginger, I can speak from experience and being fair skin has nothing to do with it.

Burn the ginger! He's a witch!
:rofl:

I do love the description "raised on bread & potatoes". :rofl:

Hey thanks for the order!
:cheers:

Enjoy and please do let me know what you think - I love feedback. :woohoo:

I will NOT be anything to make a video of though - it would be quite boring... Not exactly "extreme" - just a couple people sitting around making yummy noises.haha

It's about building up tolerance. I always have capsaicin in my system so my body thinks that is normal, until it gets in my eyes then the fun is over.

Great video btw - good editing too.

that color red he turns is really quite disturbing...as is the drop of mucus perched at the end of his nose. lmao

oh god - that had to burn so bad on the way back out. love the music. lmfao.

that is seriously one of the best mixed and funniest vids like this I've seen. well done sir.

Thanks but its my talented girlfriend who gets all the credit there. What she does with a crappy tool like Windows Movie Maker is incredible. The bird pepper and Scorpion video I'll post up another time if there is demand for it. The sauce will be gifts and for my enjoyment on all breakfast food and grilling delights.

My buddy Joe just reacts so poorly to hot food, that its always great fun to watch him try and tackle some new hot pepper or sauce. Then we make a slightly more polished video :)

Back