• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting Some harvesting was done

This is about one twentieth of the grapes I have to collect. And nature doesn't wait, so it will have to be done in the next few days. We already did most of the tomatoes earlier this year, and peppers are only now starting to ripe.

decoblog60.jpg

Come on guys, grow! (Does it help when you talk to them? Or do they get hotter when you swear at them? ;))

decoblog61.jpg

Pequins, some are turning green (from deep purple)

decoblog62.jpg

Nice harvest wide...

I have never seen a purple pequin before...those look interesting..are they going to turn red or stay purple?

Mmmmmmmm grapes....

I love a good red wine.

I'm pretty lucky cause i only live 15 minutes from one of Australia's best grape growing and wine producing areas.....

Great harvest mate

Thanks all. Yes, this will be my second year of making red wine. I just bottled the batch from last year, and it's... wine. Not bad at all, but not a "great" wine. Still, it's pretty awesome to drink your own wine with your food. :cool:

The grapes are Boskoop Glory, a variety with not enough natural sugar, but resistant to heavy frost. So I had to add sugar to get to 12° VOL alcohol. I also added some wood chips, and that worked pretty well.

I planted it 5 years ago, and it is going nuts. I'll have to climb trees and get on the roof to get all the grapes. :lol: And that's after weekly pruning.

I'll receive a few young San Giovese plants from Tuscany in October, and I hope to find a way to make them survive by making relatively small holes in 4" concrete, hoping to keep them from freezing. Their roots grow deep enough to find natural water (at about 3 meters where I live) so watering is not a problem - maybe the first 2 years).

AJ, I think the pequins are supposed to turn red - but I'm not sure. They were green first, then deep purple, and now they are turning green again.

This is fun fun fun!

Thanks! In the mean time, we had the first frost in our (tiny) country. In September! :shocked: Normally it happens end of October/beginning of November.

Not where I live fortunately (the frost was in the Ardens), but I really hope it stays away for a another few weeks.

Temperature difference between today and last night is 20°C. I hope the plants don't mind too much. :?:

That is a cool hot peppers ,tomatoes, cucumber & grapes, so when you eat those pods if they are to hot you cool at down with grapes.

Bugger. I didn't get the chance to get the rest of the grapes last week (doing major redecoration in the house) so my wife went to harvest them last Friday.

She said she could not see any grapes. Before calling the optrician, I went to look for them myself and ... no more grapes. :shocked:

I guess the birds noticed they were ripe too. :(

AJ we have pequins also and yes they turn red after the purple. I seem to have ended up with a lot of purple peppers this year, good contrast with the greens.

Love the grapes lovely deep color and as for the peppers..treat with tender care and they'll reward you with heat..Hopefully.Really nice to see someone growing grapes..wish i could here but still to cool :)

talas said:
Really nice to see someone growing grapes..wish i could here but still to cool :)

Have you tried that yet? I'm not sure how far "oop North" you live - judging by your location - but I'm sure that this variety would work there without any problems. I didn't believe they would grow where I live either, but was very pleasantly surprised.

Young plants might need some protection against frost < -10°C, but after a year or three, even lower temps don't bother them.

Our labrador had once chewed off one off the vitis, so that you could only see a 3 cm stump coming out of the ground. So I assumed that was the end of that one. The next year, it grew as big as it was the year before. :shocked:

Wide-O said:
Have you tried that yet? I'm not sure how far "oop North" you live - judging by your location - but I'm sure that this variety would work there without any problems. I didn't believe they would grow where I live either, but was very pleasantly surprised.

Young plants might need some protection against frost < -10°C, but after a year or three, even lower temps don't bother them.

Our labrador had once chewed off one off the vitis, so that you could only see a 3 cm stump coming out of the ground. So I assumed that was the end of that one. The next year, it grew as big as it was the year before. :shocked:

Now you've got me interested..erm -10 erm lowest weve had is -4 for the last few years so this variety is called vitis ?..no nothing about wine varietys so be patient with a middle aged fool :)

talas said:
Now you've got me interested..erm -10 erm lowest weve had is -4 for the last few years so this variety is called vitis ?..no nothing about wine varietys so be patient with a middle aged fool :)

I'm even patient with young fools ;)

Vitis (vinifera) is just the Latin name for grape plants. The variety I planted is called Boskoop Glory (sounds like a South African name BTW).

You can buy them online in the UK here. But I guess good garden centers must stock them as well.

From that site:

If you are after a good wine maker, the most reliable varieties for cropping outside include the black grape Vitis 'Boskoop Glory'. It isn't the finest wine-making variety but it is the most reliable and it'll give you lots of bulk. It can also be used for desert purposes. 2 Litre container, 50-60cm+ tall plant.

I keep on harvesting. :shocked:

peppers125.JPG

peppers126.JPG

peppers127.JPG

But most of the peppers are still outside ... no frost in the next two weeks, so the yellow habs might actually make it!

Ctd.

lots of nice fruit there...I love this time of year when we all (well, those of us in the northern hemisphere) start getting big harvests...this is what we work for all year long...

Back