• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Some jalapenos getting red and yummy!

I've been having problems, but I am getting some ripe peppers finally. Here are a few pics:

2012Aug12_1.jpg

Jalapenos in abundance!

2012Aug12_2.jpg

Cajun Belles

2012Aug12_3.jpg

Golden Cayenne getting close... I ate one of these a few weeks ago and was drooling and snotting for 10 minutes. :D

2012Aug12_4.jpg

Chiltepins... these guys are hot for being so tiny!

Nice pods!! I'm still waiting on any of mine to ripen yet, seems like at least one should be going yellow by now! Those Cajun Belles are looking awesome.

Thanks guys. It's like they say, the waiting is the hardest part!

I think I set myself back by the way I was picking them originally ... breaking them off the stalk, which I think basically stopped the growth on that branch. Now I am using a set of mini wire cutters to clip them off. Which seems to be working well.

I have been dealing with a lot of bugs and stuff but that seems to be under control at the moment, so I am hoping to get some more cayenne, serrano, bangalore torpedoes, thai chilis and chili de arbol... I am still waiting on my first flowers on the cowhorn cayenne and trinidad scorpion.

Wax, do you know what variety of jalapeno that is? They look great!

Nate, I have never dried jalapenos in a dehydrator. Thought they might be too fleshy. Do they get OK? I've got some ripe ones coming in now, as well.

I chop them up, freeze them, and add them to fried rice and ramen noodles. I plan to put a few slices on the tacos we are having for dinner tonight. :D

But, yes, I want a dehydrator. :D

Jakester : they came from home depot: "Bonnie Plants Jalapeno Hot Pepper" is all the the little tag says. They also had "Mild" which I obviously had no use for, and one called "Giant" or something similar. I guess those are more like the huge ones I see in grocery stores... not hot at all.

I sliced mine in half and dehydrated for almost 24hrs. They came out sweet and spicy and I ate a couple like candy. Very good!

Back