• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

some plants that really took off

These were germinated in a plastic bag w/ a moistened paper towel. Around 30 of them took off after @ a week.

dsc00398s.jpg

Here's where I got the seeds (you can see them in the bottom of the container). They are quite hot for everyday use:
dsc00397xu.jpg

Wondering about when to top them because I've seen people here mentioning doing that?

Those plants look extremely healthy! What are they, do you know?

xo nicole
No. I don't know. Sadly, alot of chili's sold for consumption are just labelled "hot chili's". I'm assuming they were grown in Thailand because of the packaging. I would like to know the exact strain though. I started another thread w/ a more mature chile I have but, as w/ this one, was grown from a chili sold for consumption & simply labeled "hot chili".

put a few out next to a ruler and snap a shot. Might get you closer, but IMO you will probably never know exactly what they are. However on this site as you get more info about them you should be able to find something very close if not the same.

Best of luck.

What about "topping" that I've seen people mention (pruning?) Do people generally cut the top, at a certain point, so it grows out horizontally?

Ive pruned some plants, and let others go wild... and Ive found that when I allow the plant to do what it would naturally, they florish more. However, if youre planning on keeping the plant in a container, then you want to manipulate the growth. The only beneficial pruning that Ive found is to prune the lower branches for the plants that I am putting in the ground for several reasons. One reason is because when the plant fruits the peppers weigh down the branches and if theyre low enough and heavy enough they end up touching the ground, making them rot! Also, when theyre so low they get damaged from heavy rains and mud. The last reason is because it is a bitch to pick lower to the ground because the other branches attack you as your trying to pick em!

These are just simple reasons to trim just lower branches, hope it helps you!

xo nicole

It's a nice start. A couple of things though, that's a LOT of plants for each single pot. You should separate them if you want them to reach their full potential. They are also a bit 'leggy'. This has to do with a combination of not enough light and no movement. Put a fan on them twice a day for 10 min. each and the stocks will really thicken up. More light would really help too. I use simple fluro setup when I get them going.

Like I said, good start though.

It's a nice start. A couple of things though, that's a LOT of plants for each single pot. You should separate them if you want them to reach their full potential. They are also a bit 'leggy'. This has to do with a combination of not enough light and no movement. Put a fan on them twice a day for 10 min. each and the stocks will really thicken up. More light would really help too. I use simple fluro setup when I get them going.

Like I said, good start though.
Thanks for the advice. I'm a n00b to growing so any helpful advice is appreciated. The thing is, that this is my first year growing plants and my pots are filling up to quick. I think I germanated too many of one kind and now all my pots are full :-(

Thanks for the advice. I'm a n00b to growing so any helpful advice is appreciated. The thing is, that this is my first year growing plants and my pots are filling up to quick. I think I germanated too many of one kind and now all my pots are full :-(

Yep. Welcome to the wonderful world of growing chili peppers :). I planted everything I could get my hands on in my first year, which actually wasn't that long ago (I'm in my 3rd year now). I had a forest growing in the living room before realized that I needed to pay attention to the "Days to harvest" date printed on the pack. You really need to stagger the planting to suit the time that they are put out otherwise you'll get overgrown quick. Look up your last frost date and count back a number of weeks for each plant. For example, this year I've started my Bhut's and Trinidad Scorpions and am still waiting on some Dorsets. These all take some time to mature and should be fairly stout by the time I can move them out into the greenhouse after the last frost date of Jun. 4. I'll be starting the Scotch Bonnets in a month or so. Now I'd have a real problem on my hands if started the serrano's right now because they only require 60ish days to harvest. My plant out date isn't for a couple of months. I'd be pinching and topping these like mad. Plus I don't have the room or light required for such a big plant.

Also, when you are germinating seeds you need to look ahead and account for all the space required when you pot up. 75 seeds in a germination tray looks small and manageable. Two months later, 75 plants in a 6" pot isn't. Especially when you only have room for 50. I'm only planning on having about 20 plants this year. Two or three superhots and few of the more enjoyable varieties like the Bonnets, Jamaican Reds, and Serrano.

If you find yourself with too many, you may just have to bite the bullet and cull a few. Yea you'll feel dirty after doing it, but that'll learn ya! :lol:

Yep. Welcome to the wonderful world of growing chili peppers :). I planted everything I could get my hands on in my first year, which actually wasn't that long ago (I'm in my 3rd year now). I had a forest growing in the living room before realized that I needed to pay attention to the "Days to harvest" date printed on the pack. You really need to stagger the planting to suit the time that they are put out otherwise you'll get overgrown quick. Look up your last frost date and count back a number of weeks for each plant. For example, this year I've started my Bhut's and Trinidad Scorpions and am still waiting on some Dorsets. These all take some time to mature and should be fairly stout by the time I can move them out into the greenhouse after the last frost date of Jun. 4. I'll be starting the Scotch Bonnets in a month or so. Now I'd have a real problem on my hands if started the serrano's right now because they only require 60ish days to harvest. My plant out date isn't for a couple of months. I'd be pinching and topping these like mad. Plus I don't have the room or light required for such a big plant.

Also, when you are germinating seeds you need to look ahead and account for all the space required when you pot up. 75 seeds in a germination tray looks small and manageable. Two months later, 75 plants in a 6" pot isn't. Especially when you only have room for 50. I'm only planning on having about 20 plants this year. Two or three superhots and few of the more enjoyable varieties like the Bonnets, Jamaican Reds, and Serrano.

If you find yourself with too many, you may just have to bite the bullet and cull a few. Yea you'll feel dirty after doing it, but that'll learn ya! :lol:
Much appreciated. Since this is my first year, yeah, I overdid it :oops: All the same variety too :( I'm going to go to the local nursery in a week or so and look for some inexpensive containers. Also, you mentioned pinching or topping. I would prefer the plants to be short so do you think i could do that now or wait a bit?

not to rain too much on your parade dude,
but the ceramic pots you have those in
are not the kind with a drain hole are they?
(i have one similar,
that i kill houseplants in... i mean i try to grow stuff in)
you may need to pot into something with drainage before springtime
for optimal results.

not to rain too much on your parade dude,
but the ceramic pots you have those in
are not the kind with a drain hole are they?
(i have one similar,
that i kill houseplants in... i mean i try to grow stuff in)
you may need to pot into something with drainage before springtime
for optimal results.
Yes, I'm aware of this and am careful not to over water them but I'm going to the nursery tomorrow to look at proper planting containers to seperate them out and to allow drainage/circulation. Thanks for lookin out for me.

yes, i am going to home depot on the way home for
a bag of potting soil and maybe tags
as i seen in another thread moon phase good today for sowing
and have some varieties ready for start indoors
here threat of frost is over in three weeks :cool:

yes, i am going to home depot on the way home for
a bag of potting soil and maybe tags
as i seen in another thread moon phase good today for sowing
and have some varieties ready for start indoors
here threat of frost is over in three weeks :cool:
Do you have your seeds already?

Yes, I'm aware of this and am careful not to over water them but I'm going to the nursery tomorrow to look at proper planting containers to seperate them out and to allow drainage/circulation. Thanks for lookin out for me.

dc, most nurseries worth their salt have a section near the dumpster that they put used pots they plan to recycle. Some even have a 'take one' sign. If aesthetics aren't important to you, it's a fantastic way to accumulate cheap (and sometimes good) black or green plastic pots.

+1 blister...and if they don't have them for free, they usually will sell them cheap...

I buy my used heavy duty 5 gallon nursery containers for a buck each from a local nursery...7 gallon heavy duty jumps to 2 bucks each...not bad when you consider new 5 and 7 gallon heavy duty containers cost 6 bucks each...

Back