• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Someone please explain all the 7 Pots to me...

I am relatively new to growing and to this site and I constantly see various references to different strains of 7 Pot such as Brain Strain, Douglah, Yellow, Jonah, etc. Are these all crosses that different growers have stabilized? What is the difference between a regular 7 Pot? I have some of the regular ones planted and all these others are sounding very (much more) intriguing! Sure would like to acquire some seeds :)

They are all variations of the 7 pot/pod which isn't a very stabalized variety. In my opinion the different colored 7-pot/pods are not true 7's but crosses most of which are even more unstable

Edit: Actually the yellow 7 seems quite stable to me

A true 7 pot looks naga like and has a lime green colour to it. It also turns a rusty orange before it goes to red. It has grown good for me for the last 5 years anyways.
The others are all recent crosses. The yellow one is the best cross for sure. Productive, great flavour. Highly recommended.

although i have not tried the brain strain one yet.

MrArboc said:
How do you know they are crosses?

I grew up in a highly populated T&T community in Toronto and have a lot of friends. There was no such thing as a yellow 7 pot, brain strain, Sr strain, douglah,Jonahs "cultivar" 6 years ago. I suspect there was not that many mutations in 6 years.
Its not a very large country.

madhatter said:
I grew up in a highly populated T&T community in Toronto and have a lot of friends. There was no such thing as a yellow 7 pot, brain strain, Sr strain, douglah,Jonahs "cultivar" 6 years ago. I suspect there was not that many mutations in 6 years.
Its not a very large country.

So, the fact that you didn't see them in Toronto is supposed to be proof enough? Sorry, I think I need a little more than that.

MrArboc i'm not here to get pulled into a debate about the 7 pot/pod. I grow it,enjoy it and i trust the good poeple of T&T from what they tell me about their peppers. Perhaps you should search another thread for someone to debate with.
I really dont have time to go back and forth. Call someone in Trinidad and ask them. Its 10:00 am there now

We know from Sara that the Douglah is a cross. Douglah is apparently a term used to describe a mixed(Black and white) relationship. The yellow 7's are a mystery to me. They seem quite stable for what is likely a new variety, so maybe they are true mutants, or they could just be bumpy pods with no relation to the true 7
These days many peppers with a pimply/bumpy skin are being called 7 pot/pods, just like any pepper with a "tail/stinger" is being classified as a scorpion. At least they aren't all being called habaneros;)

POTAWIE said:
We know from Sara that the Douglah is a cross. Douglah is apparently a term used to describe a mixed(Black and white) relationship. The yellow 7's are a mystery to me. They seem quite stable for what is likely a new variety, so maybe they are true mutants, or they could just be bumpy pods with no relation to the true 7
These days many peppers with a pimply/bumpy skin are being called 7 pot/pods, just like any pepper with a "tail/stinger" is being classified as a scorpion. At least they aren't all being called habaneros;)
+1 agreed

madhatter said:
MrArboc i'm not here to get pulled into a debate about the 7 pot/pod. I grow it,enjoy it and i trust the good poeple of T&T from what they tell me about their peppers. Perhaps you should search another thread for someone to debate with.
I really dont have time to go back and forth. Call someone in Trinidad and ask them. Its 10:00 am there now

You made a bold statement, if you don't want a debate you shouldn't do that on a public forum. OK?

dude, again its only what ive been told by the countrymen who know there own peppers.
I dont think it was that bold of a statement. Please dont sick the wolfpack on me

He just likes getting into fights i myself only have jonah and the regular but nothing else and if i was to give yous seeds of jonah it would only be 5 as i just recieved these. i think its a larger variety of 7 pod.

xcsports said:
He just likes getting into fights i myself only have jonah and the regular but nothing else and if i was to give yous seeds of jonah it would only be 5 as i just recieved these. i think its a larger variety of 7 pod.

Yep. Ive seen it before on other threads too.
Is this not a forum for poeple to learn off of others and enjoy what we all have in common?

cheers

madhatter said:
Is this not a forum for poeple to learn off of others and enjoy what we all have in common?

How would we ever learn anything if we take every claim someone makes as a fact? Your friends might be right, but don't state it as a fact if you can't show that it is a fact - that only adds to the confusion.

And don't talk about people on the forum like they can't see it. Seems kind of childish and silly... ;)

MrArboc said:
How would we ever learn anything if we take every claim someone makes as a fact? Your friends might be right, but don't state it as a fact if you can't show that it is a fact - that only adds to the confusion.

And don't talk about people on the forum like they can't see it. Seems kind of childish and silly... ;)

Potawie made a statement on this thread but you wouldnt dare chalenge him. maybe its because i'm new.
No i know its because i'm new. Now thats childish

millworkman said:
Hatter, you have been around longer than Arboc.
when i joined yes bro, but i only started becoming active in Feb 2010 when the hotpepper.com sent me a happy bday email. I said cool i should get on.

Back