• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Someone please explain all the 7 Pots to me...

How much more discussion will I start by asking if it's 7 poT or 7 poD?

Learning lots from the discussions, as usual~

SL

Maligator said:
As I understand it: it was originally 7 pot as the peppers were claimed to be hot enough to heat 7 pots of stew.

That was one story from a 2005 thread on another forum and its really gotten around;) I call them 7 pot/pod because that's what they seemed to always be refered to as years ago before they were common

All the seed I have receive in trade from Trinidad & Tobago was labeled 7 Pod. Just because you hear a story about hot stew that sounds cool people want to change the name, I don't get it. I keep the name that came with the seed so in my garden I have both 7 Pot and 7 Pod from several sources.

PRF ..... Having spent a lot time in Jamaica I've seen them name stuff randomly at times. Lots of people had a Scotch Bonnet pepper tree inna' de yard. But with some yardie friends in the Green Wood Dist. I had some, what I'm sure was a S.B. , but they called it "Ol' Granny's Goat Pepper". It did have bumps which I'd never seen before. I didn't ( not that I do know all that much now ) know anything about peppers. It was wonderful . I figured it was a strain more or less on it's own because of the isolation. And when plants were started again the seeds came from those pods.

When you say you have both 7 Pod & 7 Pot I take it those seeds came from other sources than the Trini seeds. Is that right ? Just trying to learn....
The two types of seed I'm trying this year were both named 7 Pod from two sources. So I add the source so I can keep things straight.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

On JayT's question about stable and unstable plants. My feelings run along with Silver_Surfer's. A stable plant throws the same plant year from year. Not like a clone ..... but the plants looks the same , both the growth and the pods. And because it's a seed to start with ... some plants will be a little better. But it shouldn't do freaky stuff ..... change growth habits or give different shaped pods.

For some part I agree with AJ. "environmental difference in the different places they are grown that makes the differences in the plants/pods..." Yes I think plants can grow better , bigger .... more pods .... taste better .... depending on where and how they're grown. But that won't make a , lets say , 7 Pod plant or pod look like or taste like a bell pepper. MHO on that.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

AlabamaJack said:
just a thought, but it could be the environmental difference in the different places they are grown that makes the differences in the plants/pods...

Agreed!!! .......... Genetics 101.......... a monozygotic twin in which both of them have the exact DNA and each is placed in an environment different from the other........ the phenotypes displayed would be different when comparing them....... although they are genetically identical............ the influence of the environment causes certain genes to be activated in one while in the other, the condition may not present itself for the gene to become active........... thats kinda what i was looking for when i sent the Barrackpore 7 pots all over the world...... and asked that you guys posted the pics.....

trinicoolieboy said:
Agreed!!! .......... Genetics 101.......... a monozygotic twin in which both of them have the exact DNA and each is placed in an environment different from the other........ the phenotypes displayed would be different when comparing them....... although they are genetically identical............ the influence of the environment causes certain genes to be activated in one while in the other, the condition may not present itself for the gene to become active........... thats kinda what i was looking for when i sent the Barrackpore 7 pots all over the world...... and asked that you guys posted the pics.....

Pretty cool trinicoolie

I had simular experience the trinidad scorpion. When i grew it inside in the window, i had few pods with the tails. Maybe two But when i grew it outside were there was more sun and heat i started noticing the pods were coming out with more tails. Not sure if the reason was environmental but it sure looked that way. Not sure if anyone else had a simular experience.

So how many generations would you need to grow to know if a plant is stable or not? And, wouldn't the number of generations removed from the mother plant increase the likelihood of mutations due to cross-pollination etc?

I think you need to grow plant out for 5 to 10 generations for good stability and you'd definitely need to isolate plants to avoid cross-pollination

I would agree that a minimum of 5 generations are needed to insure stability and if you're wanting a pure strain isolation from other plants is mandatory.

The plants environment can influence its growth habit as well as pod formation, but if a strain is stable it should maintain stable characteristics when grown in the same environment from one year to the next.

trinicoolieboy said:
...... and asked that you guys posted the pics.....

I, for one, cannot wait to be able to post pics of your Barrackpores I'm growing, that means I'll be closer to eating them!

Ok, so what is the "7" in the name 7-Pod referring to anyways???? LOL I know, questions, questions, questions. I have CARDI's and Douglahs growing, does that mean I am only 2/7th's of a pod???

P.S. Thanks for the information so far guys/gals/ My brain has become a giant pepper sponge since I joined this forum back in December 09.

I'll definitely be reporting. My plants are doing wonderful. :)

Chris

trinicoolieboy said:

Oh crap, I think I'm growing them all JungleRain. lol. :) I will say the vigor of the 7 Pod Yellow from Neil is unmatched. The plants are so stocky as seedlings and gorgeous.

Chris

JungleRain said:
So how many different strains would you guys say are out there, stable vs unstable

7pot/pod red
7pot/pod jonah
7pot/pod light green when unripe
7pot/pod long
7pot/pod CARDI
7pot/pod Brain
7pot/pod Yellow
7pot/pod Orange
7pot/pod Brown
7pot/pod Douglah
7pot/pod Barrackpore
7pot/pod SR
7pot/pod White
.....any others????

Instead of writing 7 pot/pod everytime, you could just shorten it and make something new, and less difficult to explain (or maybe more in this case) such as 7 PTD? Sounds cool to me :)

Straticus said:
Instead of writing 7 pot/pod everytime, you could just shorten it and make something new, and less difficult to explain (or maybe more in this case) such as 7 PTD? Sounds cool to me :)

Nah, I don't think it's a good idea to make up yet another name;)

Back