• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Something is Eating Holes in My Leaves...WTF???

I want to go all organic here...I just misted them with a very dillute mixture of dish soap and water. If that doesn't work, I'll try boiling oranges, garlic, and chiles to create a new spray.

I like the stats on the Safer BT...I may pick some up by the weekend if this shit isn't under control.

Went hunting before dark, an hour after dark, and a few minutes ago. Got another 10 total. The spray doesn't seem to phase them. There are certain pepper (and tomato) plants they gravitate toward...and avoid others. I even busted 2 of these lttle shits on my onions!

Interesting, i just took a pic of my plants with holes.

holes1.jpg

holes2.jpg

And the only thing i can see hanging around (and its always there) is this little thing, don't know what it is or if its a good thing or a bad thing?

insect1.jpg

insect2.jpg

At least you have caught your culprit.

Mezo.

Mezo...I am NO expert here (obviously), but your damage almost looks like water spots that burn holes in the leaves. Looking at the pics, you have some discolored areas that conform with the holes...so it may be a water(ing) issue, if that makes sense. The fly in the pic is probably predatory, and a good thing to have in there. Take a late night trip to examine the plants...see if any pests are present.

Thanks for that, i have no control over the water regime its just what falls from the sky.

Do have an issue with cane toad jelly though, keep waking up to find this clear jelly on the top of the potting mix, not sure if its doing any harm to the plant or what will result if i leave it there? didn't have this problem before as my Bhut plants sit in tall planters & they cannot get up that high, now ive got these shorter ones toads seem to love my brand of potting mix.

Mezo.

After some research, I boiled 2 oranges, a lime (after using all the lime juice for dinner), a few chile de arbols, 6 cloves of garlic, and a little cooking oil. Did this for about 15 minutes, and will let it sit overnight.

I'm hoping this will make a good anti-caterpillar defense. I've been going out 3x a night to pluck them by hand.

Well...my last hunting trip is at 12:30 every night...and no more seem to show up after that...been doing that for the last fwe nights, and seen very little new damage.

Yep those hungry shits will ruin anyone's day... +1 for spongey.
It could be worse... They coulda eaten it to the ground before ya figured it out.

Something chomped off all the leaves in 1 of my Red Beet cups 2 days ago, I noticed a couple leaves missing in 1 right next to it, I flooded the cups and found a dark colored worm/caterpillar that floated to the top, its guts where red, they hide in the soil during the day!

Mine appear to be armyworms. We had an old bale of hay that I used as ground cover to retain water, and insulate the soil. They're hiding under that. I'm trying to catch some frogs around the property to toss them in there. They would most likely eliminate the armyworms in a few nights.

They gone pretty much now? The things that were eating my leaves looked just like yours, only were almost neon green. Seem to be gone with the heat.

Yeah...you had "loopers". They are a short term problem since the caterpillar is only a developmental stage...and doesn't last too long. Loopers can be bad...even though they're small...they eat constantly. Armyworms take a lot of breaks, lol. But yeah...been gone since the end of May.

Earwigs did that??? Hmmm... I have a ton of earwigs but I never see them eating the plant, they're always scurrying around looking for other more harmful bugs to eat. Guess I can't place all the blame on slugs and harmyworms.

Oh and lunchbox... A propane torch is more fun than spade ^_^

Earwigs did that??? Hmmm... I have a ton of earwigs but I never see them eating the plant, they're always scurrying around looking for other more harmful bugs to eat. Guess I can't place all the blame on slugs and harmyworms.

Oh and lunchbox... A propane torch is more fun than spade ^_^

Then I could have had a BBQ party with this guy:

547288_3058869964561_1647752299_2072420_1325875048_n.jpg

oh wow, yeah don't kill that caterpillar, those are giant moth caterpillars

put it in a terrarium and feed it and watch what it turns into, it's very cool

That green one is a hornworm, they usually eat tomatoes and sometimes peppers too, I don't let those live, they do too much damage. They can strip an entire plant of its leaves it left to their own devices as well as putting holes in tomatoes.

i kill any caterpiller that is on any plant of mine! esp my "other" plants! i went away for 3 days came back to 10, just did a trimming and found 3 more. i have actually gone as far as to take a bowl and put some oil around the lip3" and put the pillers i catch in the bowl and leave them in the yard for the burds to eat!

Back