• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Something is eating my plants

My 2 bhut plants have been targeted by some type of critter. Not sure what is is, but by the looks of the damage, I suspect it's some kind of caterpillar.

null-4.jpg

null-5.jpg

I haven't found any yet, but can anyone suggest a solution?
I know it's hard without finding the culprit, but I was hoping to hear a catchall fix of some sort.

Got's minor leaf munching, and some thin skinned pods getting drilled into, but a test grow to see how well they grow and what types produce best in my climate.
Meaning---no ferts or pesticides this year.
Unless in immenent danger of losing everything.
Must be nocturnal, as close inspection finds zero bugs anywhere, no worms or eggs in the pods, just snacked upon.

Last season's grow was in a bad spot---too much sun and planted too late, so this year is about discovery.

I have indoor grow in hydro and dirt under lights figured out.

But nothing beats the tase of sun grown in dirt and weather, and what doesn't kill them, makes them stronger.

I've got the same issue on my outdoor Bhuts, and I think it might be birds. Indoor plants look fine. Slugs generally leave a slug trail so probably nothing to worry about. I use lady bugs indoors, but outside they just fly away.

I wondered about slugs, but thought caterpillar due to how much disappeared so quickly, and the shape of the damage.

Just went hunting with a mag light... Only took about 10 seconds to find the culprit!

null-6.jpg

Not sure what type he is, but I let him know he was unwelcome. I relocated him safely to the VERY lush garden of the neighbourhood grouch!

I only found the 2 plants damaged and he was on one of them. It is unclear whether he was acting alone or is in fact part of some "caterpillar consortium", but I'm going back out in a couple hours to ensure there isn't a second chewer on the grassy knoll!

lol that would be it! Those little bastards can demolish a plant in a day. Just be glad you don't have a hornworm. They are much tougher to see.

spicy_echo said:
lol that would be it! Those little bastards can demolish a plant in a day. Just be glad you don't have a hornworm. They are much tougher to see.
I've dreaded the legendary hornworm, but thankfully have never seen one.

It sounds like an old wives tale but a half full glass of beer will attract and catch many slugs and is relatively effortless. I was having an issue with the first vege crops I grew at my house - the beer glass ended up catching about 20 in the first night

Robisburning said:
It sounds like an old wives tale but a half full glass of beer will attract and catch many slugs and is relatively effortless. I was having an issue with the first vege crops I grew at my house - the beer glass ended up catching about 20 in the first night

I might actually try that.  I need to do a night op to try to catch whatever buggers have been eating my butches, 7 pots and Brain Strains.  I call that my "Gilbert Grape" section.

Anyone?  Anyone?

looks like a form of army worm. I've found them curled up on top of my soil during the day... they look just like twigs and such especially if you have dark mulch.

Glad you found it, I went out this morning to find a huge bite out of a Naga, I looked down at the soil to see the bite laying there. I need to get back out at night and see what is still munching my leaves....

Back