• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Something new to worry about?

P1070598.jpg

Green mould on the inside of the plastic cups. Suggested plans of action:

- Ignore
- Repot immediately
- Throw away seedling and pot
- Cry

Damn, I've never seen that INSIDE the cup before...
1.gif

I'd guess that you're overwatering?

Should be just damp, not wet. You do have drain holes right?

You could try watering with like a tsp. of peroxide per gallon, but you may be better off just repotting into clean soil. What are ya planting 'em in?

Not all of them are affected and I will be transplanting them soon. Not sure I'd be able to get peroxide. Chlorine work you think?

Chlorine would likely kill everything if you watered with it.

Hydrogen Peroxide should be at any wal-mart or drugstore in the healthcare aisle.

Same stuff ya use for first-aid.

FAM_HYDROGEN_PEROXIDE_PINT-4080.jpg

That has happened because you are growing using clear pots. The mixture of heat from the sunlight and damp soil is creating the green mould. This will damage the plant's roots - roots should not be exposed to sunlight. You need to get proper (not clear pots) with drainage holes, take as much of the old soil from the roots as you can and re-pot the plants in fresh soil. If you leave them as they are now they will die.

The draining holes do exist in the inner pots. That's quite a shame about the clear pots. I like being able to see the roots. I will make the changes though. I let them thoroughly dry out, change the soil, repot with fresh soil and pots then if needed use bleach/peroxide.

Ah, I didn't think about the clear cup bit as I've never used 'em.

Nice call...photosynthesis should happen ABOVE ground... ;)

P1070599.jpg

The first bit of first aid. Will look for hydrogen peroxide later, however being in finland it's probably called something else.

two words....

CORN MEAL...works well for me...just sprinkle it around the mold/algae if you are repotting and just on top of the soil if not...

Are all of you sure it is mould? Looks like algae to me, should die of in a few days now that the dirt is in the dark.

Some of it is dying off, However on some it is starting to appear where it wasn't before! I've cut back on the watering completley. Whilst you say it will go away on it's own with the darkness, I'm still going to apply some corn flour and garlic water (I read somewhere that this kills off fungus, so I thought i would take a stab with that). I was thinking about mixing some of the flour into the water so it is absorbed into the soil? Good or bad idea?

Back