• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Soon, hot peppers may be regulated.

cruzzfish said:
Why would anyone want to use pepper as a cosmetic?

Interestingly enough, this weekend I found "capsicum frutescens fruit extract" on the label of a moisturizing cream that I use, so clearly it has some properties that I don't know about. That cream is absolutely the best moisturizer I've found so far, though I have no idea how much the capsicum frutescens contributes to that. I can tell you that the moisturizer does not burn when applied, however.

Two more cents on the McDonalds case - true, they kept their coffee too hot, and true, they deserved the verdict, given that they knew full well the potential risk and chose to disregard it. But at the same time, there are valid reasons why it is against the law in some states (including the one I live in) to eat or drink while driving - including that you could spill food or drink and become distracted enough to cause an accident. Granted, people disregard those laws all the time - I have to admit being guilty from time to time - but that doesn't change the fact that it is not safe to consume and drive. Does the level of heat of a purchased item change that fact? Not in my mind.

Like I say with my guns and ammo, try to come and take my peppers and pepper seeds..never gonna happen..over my dead body will be the only way it would happen....lol...seriously ....

All it would take is one overblown prank wherein a high-school or college kid grows a bunch of peppers, extracts the capsaicin, and uses it in a big pepper-spray fogger that contaminates a classroom or dorm.  The usual 'Think of the Children!' mob will instantly descend, and politicians everywhere will rush to 'protect' the public from this 'new, insidious threat.'

Our society is so pussified, so terrified of any potential threat that people will cheerfully go along with the argument that 'No one needs to grow peppers that are dangerously hot.'   Always remember that eccentric minorities - like hot pepper crazies - make extremely convenient scapegoats....

Geonerd said:
'No one needs to grow peppers that are dangerously hot.'   

Lol I can hear the argument now… NO one eats food that spicy. There must be an ulterior motive for growing those nasty poison plants. There's simply no need to own anything that dangerous! 

[SIZE=8.198302268981934px]AKA "NO one needs a 30 round clip. There must be an ulterior motive for owning those nasty assault weapons. There's simply no need to own anything that dangerous! {See what I did there, with the semantics and fear mongering and what not?)[/SIZE]

geeme said:

Interestingly enough, this weekend I found "capsicum frutescens fruit extract" on the label of a moisturizing cream that I use, so clearly it has some properties that I don't know about. That cream is absolutely the best moisturizer I've found so far, though I have no idea how much the capsicum frutescens contributes to that. I can tell you that the moisturizer does not burn when applied, however.

Two more cents on the McDonalds case - true, they kept their coffee too hot, and true, they deserved the verdict, given that they knew full well the potential risk and chose to disregard it. But at the same time, there are valid reasons why it is against the law in some states (including the one I live in) to eat or drink while driving - including that you could spill food or drink and become distracted enough to cause an accident. Granted, people disregard those laws all the time - I have to admit being guilty from time to time - but that doesn't change the fact that it is not safe to consume and drive. Does the level of heat of a purchased item change that fact? Not in my mind.
It happened after they pulled away from the window and stopped to add creamer/whatever. I guess legally that might be considered still driving, but really they were just parked.. But it still was incredibly stupid to put the cup between their legs.

geeme said:

I disagree on this one. If I were to go to a McDonald's and get a cup of coffee I would expect it to be hot enough to not want to pour it on my leg let alone spill it there. And the exact temperature was not even know til they went to the store and measured it. I think at that point they created a red herring . In my opinion the judge is at fault for even hearing the case. And the repercussions that have followed since that case have helped to create a society of sue to get ahead vs work to get there.

Pepper spray IS already regulated by some states.

http://www.pepper-spray-store.com/pages/states

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray

I doubt anything sold over the counter is as strong as the cops stuff.

After a short google search ,I've found most sprays are labeled as some kind of animal repellant and caution against using it on humans.
Wonder why-possible legal issues?

I've read where kids sprayed the lunch area down at their school a while back.
They won't try it again-assault and other charges were filed.
In the end they probably didn't spend much time in jail but It probably made a payment on Mom and Dads Lawyer's new car.
Plus whatever fine they got and probation...

Growing probably won't be regulated - How much pot was grown since it was made illegal?
Too hard to enforce...they would have to wait until pods were ripe to see what kind of plants/pods you grew(bells or supers).

Back